ArraySync stuck looping the first few frames of video

jportway
4 MB
ArraySync stuck looping the first few frames of video

Post by jportway » June 4th, 2015, 7:54 am

Hi,
I'm trying to debug a problem where Arraysync is getting stuck and just looping the first few frames of the video over and over. Any idea?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: ArraySync stuck looping the first few frames of video

Post by Turboladdade » June 4th, 2015, 8:33 am

Without having the video file to examine it would be impossible to know. Whatever it is, the video file is most likely corrupted in some way. If you wanna upload it to DropBox or somewhere I can take a look at it.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
jportway
4 MB

Post by jportway » June 4th, 2015, 9:40 am

This is happening with the test video file from your website as well as the file we're trying to play. It's very weird.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » June 4th, 2015, 4:21 pm

What are the specs and operating system of the computer you’re trying this on? Have you tried on any other computer?
jportway
4 MB

Post by jportway » June 4th, 2015, 6:32 pm

Unfortunately I'm trying to sort this problem out remotely for a friend who's currently setting up a show - but it's my understanding that one of the machines is a Mac Pro (not sure what vintage) and there are two mac laptops. I've written asking whether the server machine is able to play the video properly and whether it's just the clients that have the problem - it seems to me that if there were a problem with the sync it might produce those kinds of problems. When I know more I'll post it here.
jportway
4 MB

Post by jportway » June 5th, 2015, 4:23 am

Hi,
I've just had a conversation with the people in the gallery - they confirmed that the problem is that the clients simply get stuck, while the server continues to play properly. I can't reproduce the problem here. They're all using freshly downloaded copies of ArraySync 1.0.3.

They've fallen back on using another piece of software called MultiScreener, which is working (though the sync is not as good as Arraysync), so I don't think there's a problem with the basic hardware setup etc.

It seems to me that what's happening is that the Clients must be receiving a bad time signal and are continually resetting themselves back to frame 0. Any ideas why this might be happening?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » June 5th, 2015, 7:00 am

I wish I could be more help but it's one of those things that I honestly couldn't offer any solutions for unless I was physically there to inspect the problem. If you can't reproduce the problem then there's something wrong at the gallery either with the video files, the network or the systems ArraySync is installed on. Has it ever worked before?

Can you get format and codec details of these video files?
jportway
4 MB

Post by jportway » June 5th, 2015, 7:15 am

As I said, this is happening with the test video downloaded from your site.

Since MultiScreener is working I'm assuming there isn't a network problem - I presume that both applications are just sending single UDP packets to maintain sync - hard to imagine how the network could work for one and not the other.

I cant think what kind of hardware problem might cause this since I've asked them to try different permutations of machines for running the server and the clients: No matter which machine is running the server, that machine seems to work correctly and the client machines seem to get stuck. So the problem seems independent of the hardware.