flip flopping new member

Kiralyno
1 MB
flip flopping new member

Post by Kiralyno » September 5th, 2008, 4:00 pm

My first computer was a Mac back in 1993. Finally, in 2006, I had to give up on my 3rd Mac (OS 9)....So old it couldn't be upgraded. I acquired a rebuilt PC, and have been using it until this week....when a kind soul gave me his older Mac (which is brand new to me). This is a Mac OS X, version 10.4.11. I am surrounded here by PC users who have little tolerance for Mac users. I need to find out how to drive this sucker. It is so different from my old Macs. I have PhotoShop 6 on my old Mac...Is it possible to transfer that program to this Mac?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: flip flopping new member

Post by Turboladdade » September 5th, 2008, 4:17 pm

Well first, welcome to Info-Mac. As you noted, Mac OS X is entirely different than Mac OS 9 and below (referred to now as "Classic"). You would do yourself a favor to pick up a book that gives an overview of Mac OS X and how to use it. Many things are similar enough that you can figure them out... for example aliases are still aliases, Option + Drag copies files, and most key combos are the same (Command + C to copy, etc...).

I might recommend The Mac OS X Lexicon, which you can find out more about (and download an excerpt of) here.

As for Photoshop, I believe version 7 was the first to run natively in Mac OS X. You can copy your Photoshop install folder to your new computer, but it will require Classic mode, and will not run if you do not have that installed.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.