Connecting HDMI to my apple LED 24" Cinema Display

dtellez
2 MB
Connecting HDMI to my apple LED 24" Cinema Display

Post by dtellez » May 4th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Hey everyone, I just figured I would start out introducing myself. I'm Danielle. I live in the Bay Area, CA, and I am a video editor for Madflash Productions.

Here is my problem at hand... I just got a (new to me, but slightly used) Macbook computer, and an Apple Cinema Display so far I am happy as can be, however; the macbook uses what I guess is DVI, and the Apple Display has DisplayPort. I also found out so far that I can’t connect my apple TV (have had this for a year, and it is the greatest thing since sliced bread) to the cinema display as well. Any ideas? I thought this display was supposed to be pretty amazing, but so far it pretty useless... and it makes me very sad... :(
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Connecting HDMI to my apple LED 24" Cinema Display

Post by Turboladdade » May 4th, 2010, 6:01 pm

If you bought one of the new LED displays from an Apple store they should have mentioned that it uses the new DisplayPort standard currently being adopted and pushed by Apple. It's a simple matter of getting appropriate adapters to use older pre-DisplayPort hardware with it. There is a very expensive example of one at the Apple Store website, I'm sure you can find much cheaper ones out there with a big of Googling.

Apple TVs are intended for use with TVs, not computer displays. Your MacBook has a very similar media browsing interface called Front Row which might make having both a MacBook and Apple TV connected to your LED display kindof redundant.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
dtellez
2 MB

Re: Connecting HDMI to my apple LED 24" Cinema Display

Post by dtellez » May 5th, 2010, 4:54 pm

Since I've been asking around, I have gotten lots of suggestions for Atlona's DP200 converter. I checked it out, and it turns out they also have a converter for HDMI to MDP, the HD620. They also have the DP200HD, but it doesn't do sound! It would be awesome if the HD620 could do DVI, and HDMI so I'd only need one. I'm gonna call them today to ask if they have anything like that...

Thanks for your insight!!