How to Grow Info-Mac

Turboladdade
1024 MB
How to Grow Info-Mac

Post by Turboladdade » December 6th, 2007, 8:32 am

Once the initial flood of curious viewers coming from the Low End Mac article dies down (after the article is no longer on the front page) how else should we go about spreading the word that Info-Mac is here? We'll have to have a grassroots effort on this from everyone that has already joined, of course.

If you take any action or have any ideas on how to help spread the Info-Mac joy around, post about it here.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
Shanghai
4 MB

Re: How to Grow Info-Mac

Post by Shanghai » December 6th, 2007, 9:17 am

A good start would be to publicize Info-Mac's re-opening on mainstream Mac news sites.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » December 8th, 2007, 10:13 pm

We already started doing that, although its up to the news site to publish stuff.

I'm going to be doing an interview with RetroMacCast next weekend - episode #50
macuser77
32 MB

Post by macuser77 » January 1st, 2008, 2:08 pm

once i get my own site back up, I'll link you guys. Any budget to take out an ad in Macworld?
Proud Mac User since 1999.
Friends don't let Friends use Windows.
AHunter3
4 MB

Post by AHunter3 » December 20th, 2008, 12:50 pm

You could email all the folks who posted to the old original Info-Mac Digest. Many of those emails will be out of date but some will still be live.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » December 20th, 2008, 1:06 pm

I'm still not sure this can easily be done programmatically.
lordtyger9
2 MB

Post by lordtyger9 » April 14th, 2009, 11:34 pm

I wouldn't try and send an email to those address that wer in the Info-mac digest list, I for one have changed my email address several times since I was in that list.

I think that people like me who have discovered that Info-Mac is alive and on the Web will tell their friends and associates like I have just recently as I poted a couple of urls of the site to one of LEM lists that I belong to.

In the future I will also likely include a URL of the web site in other emails when I have a reason for it.

As Mac people discover the site, I am pretty sure that they will tell people about it just I am going to be telling people about it..
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » April 15th, 2009, 2:44 am

I think we have three things working to our benefit, the first of which is what you mentioned above.

Another thing that helps us is the very fact that Info-Mac is linked to by literally thousands of other sites. It's setup now so that any existing link to anything in the Info-Mac Archive or the MIT HyperArchive automatically links directly back to this site. For an example of what I mean, go to this CNET Download page for a program called Giza. If you click the download link, it should take you automatically to an Info-Mac thank you page and start downloading.

Finally, the people we do have here are very intelligent and post responses to people's questions quickly and in great detail.
JayVig
16 MB

Post by JayVig » April 15th, 2009, 7:53 am

People have mixed feelings about it but you can't deny the ability to touch a ton of people with Twitter. I can help with that if interested.
Old Fave Unix Humor:
chmod a+x /bin/laden
Allows all users the permissions to execute Bin Laden
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » April 15th, 2009, 11:57 am

What I don't get about Twitter is... how exactly does one get people to follow you on Twitter?
JayVig
16 MB

Post by JayVig » April 17th, 2009, 10:34 pm

just continual posting/tweeting will get you followers. the key is to use the # symbol before certain words so people looking for those topics can search. for instance, earlier i tweeted "Go to info-mac.org. a #phpBB forum for all things #mac" and it got me 2 new followers for people looking for tweets about either phpbb or mac.
Old Fave Unix Humor:
chmod a+x /bin/laden
Allows all users the permissions to execute Bin Laden
Info-Mac
Administrator

Post by Info-Mac » January 4th, 2010, 9:55 am

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but with the big spike in new users coming in from the iTunes App Store (via iForum) I'd like to suggest more people rate the app in the App Store. Right now there are only 6 ratings. The more ratings the app gets the more people might try it and thus we'll all have more activity. More activity = more stuff to read/do!

iForum users: Tap here to open iForum's page in the App Store on your iPhone. Scroll down and tap where it says X Ratings just below the screenshots. Then tap "Write a Review" and be honest!
chasm
128 MB

Post by chasm » January 4th, 2010, 1:19 pm

All good suggestions, to which I'll just add that a few strategic banner or Google ad placements would probably do a lot of good.
Cheers
chas_m

http://spacejavelin.com
dadsweet
2 MB

Post by dadsweet » January 5th, 2010, 1:54 am

I feel a bit dinosauric having just learned that M.I.T.'s Info-Mac is no more. After buying my first Apple Mac in 1985 followed by Apple Plus in 1988 (costing me the small fortune of $3,000! Yikes!) soon the 'Net was buzzing and Info-Mac was a cornucopia of wonderful apps -- most of them FREE!

Now, we're in Brave New MicroSoft World where the young'uns are taught to scratch their right ears with their left hands by DOS.

So then are there no more of the classical style Info-Mac downloads anywhere OR am I one URL short of a full menu?

Thanks.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » January 5th, 2010, 2:09 am

Well actually, Info-Mac was never owned or operated by MIT. For a little more than ten years MIT ran a mirror of the Info-Mac archive that was keyword searchable, called the HyperArchive. It was revolutionary in it's day. This was closed last year in lieu of the new database-driven redesign of Info-Mac website.

You can still find all the Info-Mac Archive file downloads in the Classic Info-Mac folder at this website.
dadsweet
2 MB

Post by dadsweet » January 6th, 2010, 1:41 am

Thanks for the enlightenment!
Fufffusei
4 MB

Post by Fufffusei » May 28th, 2011, 12:18 pm

Someone recently posted a thread on Openfeint's Off-Topic forum telling people about iForum, which is why I'm here. The forum alone attracts thousands of OF users, so there should be some growth.