Progress on Info-Mac Digests 1988-1993 in Classic Info-Mac?

AHunter3
4 MB
Progress on Info-Mac Digests 1988-1993 in Classic Info-Mac?

Post by AHunter3 » April 3rd, 2009, 12:47 pm

I think it's absolutely fantastic that you're posting all the old Info-Mac Digests.

The ones I'm really waiting for are right smack dab in the middle of your empty zone, though. I first subscribed to Info-Mac in 1988 or '89 and started saving my own copies in my email program (instead of receiving them on the university's IBM-VM box which discarded them after awhile) in 1997. I've been enjoying the archives here from 1994 and 1996, but the ones I'd really enjoy reading are the ones that coincided with my newbie days.

Can you estimate when you might be getting the 1988-1993 volumes up? (Also what's up with 1995?)
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Progress on Info-Mac Digests 1988-1993 in Classic Info-Mac?

Post by Turboladdade » April 3rd, 2009, 1:54 pm

I am just as anxious as you are to have a fully restored Info-Mac Digest in one location. The process of adding them is quite labor-intensive. It all has to be done manually. Right now, I'm basically doing it all myself, and have to shuffle time between Info-Mac, schoolwork, and some other projects. But if there is indeed an audience desire to see them restored as quickly as possible, I can try to speed up the process a bit.

Basically, I convert all the digests for a particular year into a forum-friendly format, then use some custom scripts to import them into the database. It's converting them from whatever source I retrieve them from to the forum-friendly format that is manually done. After an entire year is imported, there are some cleanup actions on the forum-side that must be done. After that, the newly created year of digests is opened to the public.

Hope that explains it a little.

Help Info-Mac grow again by telling colleagues and friends about it.. that always helps too ;)
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.