Microsoft at It Again with Yahoo Offer

Knight
32 MB
Microsoft at It Again with Yahoo Offer

Post by Knight » February 4th, 2008, 11:45 am

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Unable to compete with Google, Microsoft wants to acquire Yahoo.

Read the Full Article at Low End Mac
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Microsoft at It Again with Yahoo Offer

Post by Turboladdade » February 4th, 2008, 12:04 pm

Microsoft buying Yahoo does indeed sound scary. I am not entirely convinced that it's going to happen yet - something inside me still says don't worry about this one.

Also, I could see Microsoft rolling users into the Live emailing system but allowing them to keep their @yahoo.com email addresses.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
mrkramer
32 MB

Post by mrkramer » February 4th, 2008, 4:52 pm

I hope that the merger ends up not happening, it doesn't seem like it would be good to have less competition.
Gatesbasher
1 MB

Post by Gatesbasher » February 5th, 2008, 1:50 am

I, too, hope it doesn't transpire. I use Yahoo Mail, belong to a number of Yahoo groups, and use Yahoo Instant Messenger to the exclusion of all the others. If Microsoft takes them over, it would really impact my life, since even if MS didn't screw Yahoo up (which I know they would) I absolutely cannot patronize a company that has anything to do with Microsoft.

Just one small historical correction to you very informative article, though. You said "...PC-DOS (developed by Microsoft and essentially a port of Digital Research's CP/M)...." Developing a working OS is and always has been beyond Microsoft's powers. CP/M was ported to the 8086/8088 processors by a small company called Seattle Computer Products and called 86DOS. Microsoft bought them out and therefore had something to show IBM when they came calling. The rest, as they say, is history!
unknown1
16 MB

Post by unknown1 » February 28th, 2008, 3:31 am

I wish there was a way for the users to buy out yahoo. Think about: if 440,000 users each invested $100 that would equal Microsoft's bid! Is there any effort to do something like this?
Russell - Unknown1 - Idaho, USA
iMac 2008 20" 2.6 GHz