Hotline Server

minimalist
16 MB
Hotline Server

Post by minimalist » February 18th, 2008, 8:15 pm

I've decided that my old Quadra 700 is just too slow for any practical and productive use, so I've decided that I will let it live out its final days as a Hotline Server.

My Hotline Server is tentatively scheduled to go online on March 1, 2008. To help control bandwidth usage and costs, you will need to be a registered user in order to download files. No users will be permitted to upload files. This is so that I may maintain some control over what files are served from my server. I want to operate my server in strict accordance with applicable laws.

There will be no warez available from my server. Instead, I will focus on the best freeware and shareware that has ever been released for the Classic Macintosh computing environment. I will also endeavour to make all available versions of each software title available. To the best of my knowledge, there is presently no resource on the Internet that does this for Classic Macintosh software.

Why am I doing this?

Simple! Over the last few months I have become increasingly aware of how difficult it is to find software for the Classic Mac OS on the Internet. You can get tonnes of hits if you do a search on Google, but actually finding and downloading the software you want can be a nightmare. Often you simply won't find what you're looking for, or you'll find a link that just does not work anymore. This can be frustrating at the best of times and downright infuriating at the worst of times. What's needed is a central repository that will stand the test of time and the scrutiny of the law.

This is where my Hotline Server comes in. It will host many gigabytes of freeware and shareware for machines running Classic Mac OS. All of the software stored on it will be added by me, so there will be the highest level of quality control and assurance. And to top it off, Hotline makes it easy to navigate and download huge file repositories. Multiple files can be downloaded simultaneously and incomplete downloads can be resumed at a later date.

I have three 9 gigabyte SCSI hard drives that I will commit to the server as needed, but will probably just start with one 9 gigabyte drive. If the server gets any serious use, I will migrate to a larger IDE drive using a SCSI>IDE adapter.

The goal is to keep the server operating 24 hours a day until... It's no longer viable to do so. I hope to be constantly adding files with the aim of making it the most comprehensive resource for Classic Mac OS software available anywhere.
I don't want a silverlining; I want justice! I don't want excuses; I want answers! I don't want an opportunity; I want compensation! I don't want love; I want privacy!
bd1308
2 MB

Re: Hotline Server

Post by bd1308 » September 7th, 2008, 3:42 pm

try finding things to run on a 68000 Macintosh Portable :o
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Hotline Server

Post by Turboladdade » September 7th, 2008, 3:56 pm

bd1308 wrote:try finding things to run on a 68000 Macintosh Portable :o
I have a bunch of 68000 systems lying around that I never used, but I know they have lots of software on them I'm sure I can dig around for you if you need anything.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.