Microsoft's Reality Distortion Field

Knight
32 MB
Microsoft's Reality Distortion Field

Post by Knight » February 29th, 2008, 8:08 am

Frank Fox points out that Microsoft benefits even more from Reality Distortion than Apple does. The distortions: Macs cost more and don't have software.

Full Low End Mac Article
minimalist
16 MB

Re: Microsoft's Reality Distortion Field

Post by minimalist » April 4th, 2008, 2:54 am

Sadly, this impression is enough for the average buyer. They ask about price, does it come with software (meaning Microsoft Office), and how big is the hard drive. These people are typical shoppers, not computer experts with in-depth knowledge of file systems and processor types. They want a computer to write a letter and surf the Internet. If they have kids, maybe it has to play a few games.

These are the perfect switchers, because they have so little invested in any computer platform that what they buy doesn't matter as much as feeling good about the purchase.
It's also a matter of what's available. Whether you want to admit it or not, it's a lot more difficult to buy a Mac than it is to buy a PC. For a lot of people the only options available for buying a "new" Mac are to get it mail order or to drive hundreds of miles. This often means that you have to get your software and peripherals by mail order or by travelling hundreds of miles as well. And when service becomes a matter of mailing your computer somewhere or travelling hundreds of miles to have your Mac serviced, the Macintosh platform becomes very unattractive.

The Windows/PC platform has one huge advantage over the Macintosh, and it has nothing to do with Microsoft or marketing. The big advantage that the Windows PC has is that it's plentiful and it's everywhere. There's a reason why Apple stores do such great business. And this is the reason.
You'd think that after all the viruses and spyware and trouble registering your serial number, it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel to get these typical consumers to switch to a Mac. But no, because Microsoft has every bit of the marketing and business knowledge to keep these people from walking away from Windows.
It has nothing to do with marketing and business knowledge. It has everything to do with volume and availability. The PC platform is established the world over. When Microsoft releases a new product, everyone and their brother wants to sell it. And when that's the case, everyone and their brother, sister, aunt, uncle, nephew, and cousin wants to buy it.

As for marketing and business brilliance on the part of Microsoft? Microsoft has missed the boat on more than one occasion. Microsoft has released their fair share of failed products as well. Marketing and business strategy alone does not sell product. Microsoft does really well in areas where they offer what people need. And what people need is software that runs on their existing platforms and is easy to source. Microsoft alone excels in this arena.
The fact is that perception is what people believe. Perception/fact: Macs are more expensive. People believe this no matter what. You can cut out an article from a PC magazine that shows the Mac is cheaper than a comparable spec Dell computer.
The fact is that Macs are more expensive to own and operate than comparable generic PCs when compared feature for feature. The Mac loses in volume and service. Cost of ownership is just as, if not more, important than cost of purchase. A Mac is considerably more expensive to own and upgrade than a comparable PC -- all things being equal.

That's about all of the opinion I want to offer on this subject.
I don't want a silverlining; I want justice! I don't want excuses; I want answers! I don't want an opportunity; I want compensation! I don't want love; I want privacy!
macaddict125
2 MB

Re: Microsoft's Reality Distortion Field

Post by macaddict125 » April 12th, 2008, 10:28 pm

It's also a matter of what's available. Whether you want to admit it or not, it's a lot more difficult to buy a Mac than it is to buy a PC. For a lot of people the only options available for buying a "new" Mac are to get it mail order or to drive hundreds of miles. This often means that you have to get your software and peripherals by mail order or by travelling hundreds of miles as well. And when service becomes a matter of mailing your computer somewhere or travelling hundreds of miles to have your Mac serviced, the Macintosh platform becomes very unattractive.

The Windows/PC platform has one huge advantage over the Macintosh, and it has nothing to do with Microsoft or marketing. The big advantage that the Windows PC has is that it's plentiful and it's everywhere. There's a reason why Apple stores do such great business. And this is the reason.
There is this small PC maker, Dell, that used to sell all of its computers only on line. No retail store to shop from. It also sold monitors, and printers. I think it was able to sell quite a few computers without worrying about mailing costs for service. It may be surprising to you based on your argument that this company could do so well, when the average joe could drive to a local store and not have to wait for the mail to arrive.

It has nothing to do with marketing and business knowledge. It has everything to do with volume and availability. The PC platform is established the world over. When Microsoft releases a new product, everyone and their brother wants to sell it. And when that's the case, everyone and their brother, sister, aunt, uncle, nephew, and cousin wants to buy it.

As for marketing and business brilliance on the part of Microsoft? Microsoft has missed the boat on more than one occasion. Microsoft has released their fair share of failed products as well. Marketing and business strategy alone does not sell product. Microsoft does really well in areas where they offer what people need. And what people need is software that runs on their existing platforms and is easy to source. Microsoft alone excels in this arena.
I think all of these people the world over know that PCs have many potential computer viruses and they have to spend extra time and effort to keep them safe. At least the IT department where I work does. Maybe some remote places not connected to the internet are free of this.

I am saying that in my article, this could discourage people from buying these nice PC that are found everywhere, and possibly switch to a Mac. But they don't in large numbers. No even the ones who don't have special software needs. MS is able to keep them under its wings. If you think there is no marketing costs, then perhaps you could ask MS to send me the money that would otherwise be wasted on marketing.

FYI, Macs are also sold any where around the world where I've been, Mexico, Canada, Europe, India. Is it not like you couldn't buy one in China if you wanted one.
The fact is that Macs are more expensive to own and operate than comparable generic PCs when compared feature for feature. The Mac loses in volume and service. Cost of ownership is just as, if not more, important than cost of purchase. A Mac is considerably more expensive to own and upgrade than a comparable PC -- all things being equal.

That's about all of the opinion I want to offer on this subject.
Fact not all Mac cost more than a comparable Dell. Yes you could build one cheaper yourself. But that doesn't explain how Dell can sell their model for more. No I am not saving that every model Dell sells is more expensive than Apple. But it does happen, and still people like you don't every understand that it does. Why? Because the myth exists and people believe it.