Disposal of Imagewriters

Claudesgirl
2 MB
Disposal of Imagewriters

Post by Claudesgirl » March 17th, 2008, 11:38 am

I have unearthed 2 ancient Imagewriters in my mother's house. One is definitely from 1984 or 1985 - it's the long, very heavy one I remember seeing then. Anyways the question is: Can I simply put these into my municipal garbage or do they contain harmful ingredients such mercury or something? Any answers on this would be greatly appreciated. Why is it so hard to find a website that contains this information? Why do I have to pay $15 a shot for a computer recycler to take these off my hands if I can put them into my garbage for free and without as much effort? Anyways thanks.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Disposal of Imagewriters

Post by Turboladdade » March 17th, 2008, 11:52 am

There are often computer recyclers that will do it for free, at least around here I know there are. Try searching for free computer recyclers in your area.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
Claudesgirl
2 MB

Post by Claudesgirl » March 19th, 2008, 1:08 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes I can take it to the county recycling (they run garbage in my area), they have special days when computers can be taken there. One of them weighs a ton and must have alot of metal inside. If someone knew what they were doing they could melt those parts down... with the price of heavy metals these days...
minimalist
16 MB

Post by minimalist » March 27th, 2008, 9:07 pm

I would just like to reiterate Dan's suggestion. I would look for places that try to place old technology back to use in the community first. I know that I may come across as something of a hypocrite for stating this, particularly in consideration of the fact that I have been more than willing to send technology to the landfill in recent history. But my personal anger toward my community should not have any bearing on how others view their respective communities. Besides, recycling is just a really good idea. In most instances. :D
I don't want a silverlining; I want justice! I don't want excuses; I want answers! I don't want an opportunity; I want compensation! I don't want love; I want privacy!