OS X on PCs: Macs 'for the rest of us'?

Knight
32 MB
OS X on PCs: Macs 'for the rest of us'?

Post by Knight » April 28th, 2008, 11:01 am

Tommy Thomas looks at the Psystar Open Computer (formerly OpenMac) and says it raises legitimate questions about Apple licensing the Mac OS, current quality control problems, and the market for a midrange Mac.

Full Low End Mac Article
lz3broc
1 MB

Re: OS X on PCs: Macs 'for the rest of us'?

Post by lz3broc » April 28th, 2008, 2:00 pm

As a Mac user since 1995, I've owned quite a few Macs. I for one love the Mac clones... I owned two PowerComputing systems when they were out back in 1997. First a PowerCurve then later a PowerCenter Tower.

This PsyStar Opencomputer or whatever you want to call it is exactly what I want, if it was Real. I've read a lot of blogs and posts and sites about it. I really don't know about the people behind it, perhaps its just a guy like me who wanted something and when he couldn't find it decided to make it, but decided to try and make a fast buck off the rest of world,

a Mac "MT" if you will, a mid tower Mac, using the popular Intel architecture, with industry standard RAM, upgradeable processors, HD's, Optical drives, graphics cards, USB2, FireWire, and Mac OSX.

I built a few years ago a home built PC from parts acquired from Newegg.com and installed Ubuntu Linux on it and run a nice decent little server, I learn a little more everyday using GIMP and OpenOffice and see it is full of potential, especially since its a Free OS. I have an older MDD Dual G4 which is my main workhorse machine it does almost everything I need. I bought last year a new Mac mini in hopes of retiring the MDD, but frankly this mini lacks a lot in many areas. It serves a purpose for internet surfing & posting on forums and blogs (like I am now), or writing letters, and listening to iTunes or watching DVD videos. But for more power I use my MDD for graphics & audio production and playing games. Yes, in many ways my MDD is more powerful than the new mini I got last year. But Its life is running out. At 5 years old there is many things it already cannot do. I tried to put OSX 10.5.2 on it but not everything worked so I downgraded back to 10.4.11. The mini however hums along with 10.5.2. till something else comes.

So back to this OpenComputer business... If I knew how, I'd use my resources to hack the 2GHz Intel PC I got running Ubuntu Linux 8.04 on it so I could use OSX 10.5... frankly I don't have the time or the inclination.

Apple needs to step up the ball and come out with something to bridge the gap.
The mini is under powered. I don't care for All In One devices like the iMac, or DVD/VCR's, Scanner/Copier/Printers etc. and the Mac Pro is overkill in Price and Features for the likes of me.

So, I'll just keep plugging along and hope I can find something that will work and hope that my MDD stays a happy Mac till its time to retire.
stinkykimchee
1 MB

Post by stinkykimchee » April 28th, 2008, 5:42 pm

There is a report, with video and pictures, on Gizmodo of an Open Computer submitted by someone who received one. Now lets see if they can ship enough in a timely manner, with acceptable quality control and avoid Apple Legal entanglement.

http://gizmodo.com/384526/exclusive-vid ... n-the-wild
ckilner
4 MB

Post by ckilner » April 29th, 2008, 2:05 pm

While I might be the type to use and enjoy a "Hackintosh" (hey - I'm cheap and I like a challenge), I have some problems with what Psystar is doing.
1) They are illegally profiting off the OSx86 project - all that the OSx86 community has developed is expressly for personal use.
2) They are selling less than a Mac (it has no firewire ports or built-in wireless or iLife apps or Apple customer service).
3) The systems they are selling cannot be updated (Software Update does not work) and the users cannot simply reinstall Leopard (without figuring out the entire OSx86 process on their own)...while it looks like a good deal to start, the full disclosure is that people are buying themselves a headache.
4) From the sound of the customer video, the computer they are selling is annoyingly loud.
5) And at any time, Apple can decide that they want the OSx86 community and Psystar to go away and either take legal action or put roadblocks into the use of Leopard on non-Apple hardware.