The Mac's 'Troubling Low' Market Share

Knight
32 MB
The Mac's 'Troubling Low' Market Share

Post by Knight » April 29th, 2008, 11:54 am

Windows apologists love to point out Apple's tiny market share - about 3% worldwide, 6% in the US - neglecting the fact that Apple is growing 30% year-over-year and turning a profit while doing it.

Full Low End Mac Article
Jeffsters
1 MB

Re: The Mac's 'Troubling Low' Market Share

Post by Jeffsters » April 29th, 2008, 7:14 pm

I don't get the issue the Mac press has with Paul Thurott. He's probably the most balanced Windows centric authority out there. So the guy likes Windows! So the guy makes money selling Windows books! So the guy sees the Mac and the Apple community through that lens! Big deal!

This is the same Paul Thurott that is all gaga over teh 3Ghz iMac calling it "GORGEOUS". He owns an Apple TV and actually buys movies etc., off it. He's had an iPod since day one and even with the release of the Zune STILL buys and uses the iPod. He bought his wife a Mac Mini and himself has a MacBook. So what if he sees issues, there are some ya know! So what at times he "just doesn't get it" that's ok, I expect that given his view on the computer market.

Many times I have disagreed with him and I have written him in a civil and friendly way. He, unlike a lot of BIG NAME mac pundits, has ALWAYS responded to me in an equally civil and friendly way. He's agreed with me on a few occasions and updated a post, other times we've just agreed to disagree. I use both the Mac, at home, and forced to use a PC at work. I too see both sides. There are some things in Windows I wish the Mac did, but there is no way I would ever want to use one at home. Boot Camp is enough for me!

Anyway, I like there is a critical eye on Apple that I think, unlike George Ou and the rest, at least tries to be fair and actually uses Apple products! Hey, the Mac press, as can be expected only sees the good, and again so what. Between skimming MacSurfer and then dropping over into Paul's blog, I usually find the truth is someplace in the middle.

It just bothers me to see stuff like this here and think we have better uses of out time and energies.
BobK
1 MB

Post by BobK » April 29th, 2008, 7:36 pm

I agree with the previous poster about Paul Thurrott in that while being Windows Centric, he also use Macs and has been known to praise features of Apple products as well as criticize. He tends to come across as being sarcastic but he's equally sarcastic about Microsoft products including Windows. I really don't understand why the Mac blogosphere is so down on him. What he writes is not any more critical of Apple than many comments posted on Tidbits Talk or other forums. He has been polite and thoughtful in responding to email comments.

While I personally am a Mac user (Mac Fanboy might be a better description), constructive critics like Paul Thurrott, especially ones so steeped in Windows, are a really useful mirror. However, I prefer Windows safely tucked away in VMware Fusion to be used when required. I rather not work with it everyday.
Tamara
8 MB

Post by Tamara » April 30th, 2008, 10:49 am

I have sometimes wondered if the Bunker Mentality is maybe included free in the box with new Macs and I've never gotten it because I always bought used ones...

Seriously, I read the same Thurott piece and didn't see anything to get particularly wound up about.
macaddict125
2 MB

Post by macaddict125 » May 1st, 2008, 9:21 pm

For those who are happy with Microsoft, using Windows, and being in the majority, you might miss the implication with saying that Macs are only a small "BMW" like segment of the market. Paul comments later in the reply section that the reason he posts this every year is to combat the Mac fans who see sales growing every year and want to predict this will create change. He's reminding all those Mac fans that yet again it didn't work, but he supports Windows and never asks what faster growth with Macs actually mean.

There is a question created by his data. If Macs are growing faster than PCs, what is happening and why. BMW would kill to have the type of sales growth Macs are experiencing, but they are not. To ignore this question year after year, and only posts the facts shows his bias. He really doesn't care as long as each year he can again say, look still only a small market share. Well he is both right and wrong to give that kind of answer.

My different point of view sees Paul's comments as designed and fully intended to imply a negative impression of the growth in Mac sales because market share is changing so little.
Tamara
8 MB

Post by Tamara » May 5th, 2008, 1:30 pm

...and there's exactly what I meant by "Bunker Mentality".

One of the biggest turn-offs for potential Windows switchers is that they might turn into some spittle-on-the-screen rabid fanboy if they purchased a Macintosh.

I know that if I thought owning a Mac would have that effect on me, I never would have bought one.
macaddict125
2 MB

Post by macaddict125 » May 15th, 2008, 5:23 am

I don't know that I understand what "bunker mentality" changes. Paul posts data for many years in a row. I take this same data. I dispute none of it. Instead I use it to plot trends and project relationships about growth rates and stock price.

You may argue that my explanation of the relationship is wrong, and if you can present a good enough argument I may agree with you. But unlike Paul, I tried to use these same numbers to show a more positive view of Macs and the incredible growth rate they are going through.

Buying a Mac won't turn you into a Macaddict. That takes years. But like any purchase you should be able to defend it. There has to be a reason why you chose it over the other brands. It is no different than people being fans of Ford or Chevy, or liking your local team. I have my preference for Macs, and that is the basis for my article, it is that simple.