Parts Mules for Old Macs

Knight
32 MB
Parts Mules for Old Macs

Post by Knight » May 1st, 2008, 11:20 am

John Hatchett shares his story of buying a used Pismo to use as a "part mule" for his Pismo - and finding components to upgrade his existing PowerBook.

Full Low End Mac Article
hank
4 MB

Re: Parts Mules for Old Macs

Post by hank » May 6th, 2008, 9:20 am

Is there any website you recommend for Pismo parts swaps?

I have several RAM cards and a couple of CPUs and a heat sink tucked away that I've swapped out as I slowly improved my Pismo.
Tamara
8 MB

Post by Tamara » May 6th, 2008, 10:43 am

I know I'm about to go scouring eBay for a Quadra 610 to use for a parts mule. Also to scrounge the CD-ROM drive, since mine doesn't have one...
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » May 6th, 2008, 10:48 am

hank wrote:Is there any website you recommend for Pismo parts swaps?

I have several RAM cards and a couple of CPUs and a heat sink tucked away that I've swapped out as I slowly improved my Pismo.
Are you saying you want to sell these parts or buy additional parts?
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
hank
4 MB

Post by hank » June 2nd, 2008, 2:57 pm

> sell or buy

Not sure; I'd like to look around, see if I can find a Pismo without a CPU and RAM to use what I have -- not a rush.

I'm one of those fanatics about ESD, got the antistatic mat, got the wrist strap, and use them -- I've seen so many shops that don't have or use ESD and don't realize that static doesn't usually kill parts, it just puts parts a little off-spec in unpredictable ways. So I'd rather keep parts I know have been handled properly.

But if not, I do have to clean out the old computer parts.

I found the 'Google Groups' LEM swap area, and am looking at that every now and then. And will do an inventory and put a list up and ask for interest there, I guess that's the best place.