Mystery w/TAM and AppleTalk

Tamara
8 MB
Mystery w/TAM and AppleTalk

Post by Tamara » May 6th, 2008, 11:40 am

For some reason I can't seem to get my TAM to function over an AppleTalk network. A friend sent me a pair of dongles and I've so far used them to successfully connect a Color Classic, a Duo 280c, a 2400c, and a WallStreet with no hiccups, but the TAM just doesn't want to play.

Details here.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Mystery w/TAM and AppleTalk

Post by Turboladdade » May 6th, 2008, 12:13 pm

AppleTalk on Mac OS Classic will often become inoperative if incompatible extensions are installed. I most frequently noted AppleTalk troubles with packages such as QuickDraw GX and the Apple Displays software.

I would try creating a new extension set using Extension Manager, named something like "work set" - and disable everything except what is absolutely vital for AppleTalk to function. See if it works then - if it does, you know you have a software conflict and not a more serious hardware problem. You can then set about creating a new "full" set that does not include whatever was causing the conflict.

See the "QuickDraw GX and Networking Problems" and "After installing Apple Displays 1.6, I can no longer use AppleTalk" articles at our sister site System 7 Today - despite being at S7T they may still apply to Mac OS 9, or at least you can get an idea of what I'm talking about and track down some new extension conflict.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
Tamara
8 MB

Re: Mystery w/TAM and AppleTalk

Post by Tamara » May 6th, 2008, 12:47 pm

Thanks!

I'll give that a try and see what happens. I'd really like to get this TAM talking...