PM 9500 questions:

Algor_Langeaux
2 MB
PM 9500 questions:

Post by Algor_Langeaux » May 11th, 2008, 8:01 pm

I recently did an upgrade of my PM9500. It lists at 1GHz with 1.2gig of RAM, and has a partitioned 250gig SATA drive, and is running Panther quite nicely, etc, etc.

The issue I have is the 50mhz limitation of the system bus speed. Has anyone figured a way around that? Anyone ever clock-chipped a 9500?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: PM 9500 questions:

Post by Turboladdade » May 11th, 2008, 9:09 pm

I've never heard of anyone clock chipping the motherboard of a PCI Power Mac, but I imagine that would have possibly detrimental effects on system components that rely on it for timing, in addition to not being that much of a benefit.

When people clock chip motherboards, usually its to squeeze an extra few megahertz out of it. This was useful in the days of 25 MHz Quadras... not so useful on something running at 1 GHz.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
Algor_Langeaux
2 MB

Re: PM 9500 questions:

Post by Algor_Langeaux » May 12th, 2008, 10:18 pm

For items that rely on pure processor power? Yeah, a 1Ghz processor smokes pretty hard compared to the 120Mhz processor this shipped with, but quite frankly, anything that has to pass through a PCI card at some point has to throttle down to 50Mhz to move around.

Any time you have to pass data at 50Mhz, that functionally becomes the bottleneck that determines the *real* speed of your computer. Considering that bottleneck, the SATA drive offers no faster data transfer than level one SCSI because it uses a PCI slot. The USB 2.0 offers access to USB 2.0 components... but isn't any faster than USB 1.0. The 100 base-T PCI card? Better than the 10 base-T on the motherboard, but again, it is only able to push data at half its rated speed.

I understand the risks, which was why I was asking here and hoping someone else had found a way around this.