Mac 610 Quadra with no disks

steve258
4 MB
Mac 610 Quadra with no disks

Post by steve258 » February 27th, 2009, 5:01 pm

I dug out my old Quadra 610 for my grand daughter to use but it won't boot up. All i get is a blank desktop or the "at ease" window. I have no disks. I do have an external cd-rom drive but no cds will run in it. any ideas?

steve258
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Mac 610 Quadra with no disks

Post by Turboladdade » February 27th, 2009, 5:15 pm

What do you mean by blank desktop?

If you need system software for an older Mac, you can download System 7.5.3 and the 7.5.5 update for free from Apple's website, but you'll have a hell of a time getting it on there without the use of some other old Mac.

I'd suggest searching eBay for a Mac OS 7.6.1 install CD.

As an side note, you don't have to manually enter line breaks when posting to the Info-Mac Forum!
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
Lichen Software
4 MB

Re: Mac 610 Quadra with no disks

Post by Lichen Software » March 29th, 2009, 3:51 pm

You probably need a set of install floppies. CD's of non Apple parentage needed a separate extension to actually start up (CD-ROM Tool Kit was one of them).

You say that the machine comes up with "At Ease". If my memory of this is correct, this program really messed at the operating system level adding a security layer. You need to nuke the hard drive and re-install if you do not have whatever was required to get in. You may also have to zap the pram (command+option+P+R) at some point inthis proceedure - probably right after nuking the hard drive.