time synchronizer

ray
16 MB
time synchronizer

Post by ray » January 30th, 2010, 5:34 am

Hi,

I have an older ppc that locks up and says something about a time synchronizer. I have recently came across this in the extensions manager. I havent the faintest idea what the time synchronizer is. I can imagine what it is but I want to shut it off. Do I just un x it in the extensions manager panel????

Also does anyone know what an extension with a steers skull is????

Also what is the secret to getting on line using the ethernet port??? I have the ethernet plugged into a linksys router and always get an error.

Thanks RAy.
chasm
128 MB

Re: time synchronizer

Post by chasm » January 30th, 2010, 10:21 am

The time sync is exactly what it claims to be ... it checks your system clock against an internet time clock and adjusts for your time zone. You might try to catch what the actual message you're getting is, could be important on a machine that old.

The "steers skull" extension is for Timbuktu (remote access) as I recall ... man you are tickling brain cells I have not used in a looooooong time!!

Lastly, you still have to configure the TCP/IP control panel in OS 9 to use ethernet ... none of this fancy automatic detection stuff! :)

EDIT: "internet time clock" should read "network time server." Hey man, I'd been up all night ... :)

I also forgot to add that if you are seeing the Timbuktu extension, you can safely disable it in Extensions Manager if you wish ... it's not used for anything unless you are running Timbuktu sessions. Sorry.
Cheers
chas_m

http://spacejavelin.com
davidchristmass
16 MB

Post by davidchristmass » October 17th, 2011, 2:37 am

Hey, why make your life complicated, just go in to Date an time settings and turn Use Network Time server off!

Using Network time, can really screw you up! It is a nice feature of course, but why depend on some other person to tell you the time? What happens if the times wrong? Or the clock stops, just like it has for me now Steve Jobs ain't here? I will tell you, all your files and prefs get stored with wrong times, and then when you come to do automated back ups, it shites data off, cos it thinks the file is older than the archive. Real bad news pal, on yourself depend, your time, pal is your time, it belongs to you and you alone!$
ray
16 MB

Post by ray » December 20th, 2011, 1:39 am

Hi,
Okay shut something off as above and am no longer getting the time synchronizer error. Neat.

Lament also the passing of the last knight tilting against the wind mills of mediocrity.

But he gave us our very own Mayan clock counting up from some time in 1955. That is really neat.

Still need some help using an older ppc mac with claris works using a linksys router.

I finally got a wireless printer. I would like to use it via the router but at the moment the mac wont connect to the router.

Thanks RAy.