Multi-booting: Mac OS 9.2.2 stopped booting

Aritimi
1 MB
Multi-booting: Mac OS 9.2.2 stopped booting

Post by Aritimi » May 12th, 2011, 10:14 am

So, I am trying to multi-boot with Mac OS 9.2.2 on this here late 2003 iBook G3. Mac OS 9.2.2 worked for a few days, maybe even a week, but now when I try to boot into it I get a flashing image of a flopping. If the install CD is inside, it will boot into that, rather than into the Mac OS 9.2.2 on the hard drive.

Re-installing Mac OS 9.2.2 (which has to be done from within OS X Tiger while in Classic Mode, for some reason) didn't help. Could it be that one of the drivers that was installed while partitioning the disk was damaged? If so, is there any way to fix it without wiping the disk clean and partitioning from scratch?
leonAzul
32 MB

Re: Multi-booting: Mac OS 9.2.2 stopped booting

Post by leonAzul » June 4th, 2011, 6:01 pm

If it's the picture of a disk with a flashing question mark you are seeing, that indicates that the machine can't find a bootable volume and the boot drive needs to be blessed. You can try the old way by removing the System file and/or the Finder file from the System Folder, then dragging the file(s) back on top of the System Folder, which should then change from a generic folder icon to the blue-and-white smiling Mac icon. Otherwise you can use the 'bless' utility in Terminal.app. Please run 'man bless' first and check for the form of the arguments for your particular machine. They vary from version to version, and rather than risk giving you wrong information, I'd rather you check and verify it for yourself.

From when I was dual-booting on a regular basis, I do recall that when a Mac OS 9 install is run in Classic Mode, the System suitcase gets altered which optimizes for Classic Mode, but sometimes makes it unstable when booted from directly. For this reason, it is recommended that you install OS 9 to it's own partition for booting and again on the same volume with OS X for Classic. Please consider that approach if it turns out you need to reformat and re-install after all.
davidchristmass
16 MB

Re: Multi-booting: Mac OS 9.2.2 stopped booting

Post by davidchristmass » October 17th, 2011, 2:28 am

Yup spot on. Its a System file problem, Also, boot from a bootable CD rom, and run the disk fix checker, just to make sure the disk is alright.
Also Check you are booting into the right startup volume, if you lost your battery or the battery went flat, and you lost the preram settings, startup disk is one big item that is resides in that area of the system, so go for that, and select the right startup volume, which is the one with your installed system, not your CD rom disk or Netboot disk.