What to do with LC III?

Arkas
2 MB
What to do with LC III?

Post by Arkas » March 1st, 2017, 5:59 pm

I have a couple of PowerMacs (both PPC601) which I use only to store and manage my e-book collection.
I was handed down an LCIII, which I believe is a Motorola 68030 in it.
What's the latest OS I can run on it?
Anyway to get an SD card reader for these? USB would be better, but my hope isn't that high on the oldest Macs.
If I can get info in and out of it fast, then that's great, otherwise what to do with it?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: What to do with LC III?

Post by Turboladdade » March 2nd, 2017, 6:20 am

The latest OS those can run is Mac OS 7.6.1. There is no way to read SD cards directly with one of those that I'm aware of. This might be a very tricky problem to solve unfortunately. Your best bet I imagine would be either to connect the LC III to the internet (if it has internal ethernet installed) or take out the hard drive and find an adapter to USB or FireWire...
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
rosso
16 MB

Re: What to do with LC III?

Post by rosso » March 2nd, 2017, 10:08 am

As above..

But here's the tech specs:

Apple Macintosh LC III Specs

..or;

Macintosh LC III

Your LCIII is not going to be much use on the internet to be honest - I did set up an LC475 (a similar Mac) - Which was great - Ran System 7.5.5 like a dream - Tried with MacOS 7.6.1 to get online but it wasn't a happening thing.

Mind you we were on dial up at the time.

Unfortunately it had to go due to a new Mac arriving and space issues.

:(
Tiger+Classic / Snow Leopard / El Capitan - Previously; Mac System 7.5.5 - BeOS something, I forget now on a Beige 9600 with MacOS 8 although it took a bit of tweeking...