advice for splitting a movie vertically

rifo
4 MB
advice for splitting a movie vertically

Post by rifo » February 15th, 2017, 3:35 am

Hello,

I am using arraysync on a PC. I understand that "offset feature" is available only on a MAC so I need to find a way split a video vertically
e.g 2x 960 x 1080 videos from a 1920 x 1080 video.

Can you please suggest a suitable program for this? Or if there is already a splitted video for evaluation, I would be happy to get its link too?

thanks
rifo
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: advice for splitting a movie vertically

Post by Turboladdade » February 15th, 2017, 12:06 pm

This is doable with ffmpeg which is free but requires some command line knowledge, or you can create a project with a custom size in Adobe Premiere, export one half of your video and then the other half and you'd end up with the two files you'd need.

If you'd like to upload the video somewhere that I can download I'd be happy to do it for you.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
rifo
4 MB

Post by rifo » February 18th, 2017, 12:05 am

That's great! I would be very happy if you can do it for me.

For the video, I can either use the "MAC vs PC" test video that ArraySync offers on the webpage or you can simply get one of the star wars movie trailers from below link.
http://www.hd-trailers.net/movie/star-w ... e-awakens/

About ffmpeg, if you can tell me the command that I need, I will give it a try.
Also, one more thing, when I download a trailer from the above links, ArraySync has a hard time playing it smoothly (even though it's in "mov" format)
can you please tell me which codec (and which program) I should use to retranscode it?

Thank you very much again for your support
rifo
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » February 18th, 2017, 10:23 am

I've gone ahead and downloaded one of the Star Wars 1080p trailers and split it in Adobe Premiere. I then used ffmpeg to convert the videos to MJPEG codec which you should find performs better (but makes larger files). You can download the two clips here. Let me know if this is what you had in mind?

The .mov format is just a container, the video codec is what matters in playback quality. If the videos are H.264 or some other distribution codec, the movies will be highly compressed for low file download size but require more computing horsepower to decode. A production or intermediate codec such as AIC or MJPEG makes larger files but is easier to process, especially in multi-display situations.

I am working on a complete rewrite of ArraySync to use native Windows video frameworks instead of QuickTime, but until that is finished some workarounds will have to suffice I'm afraid ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let me know if you need anything else!
rifo
4 MB

Post by rifo » February 20th, 2017, 12:42 pm

Hello,

thanks so much for your help. I checked the videos and it's just as I wanted. I think I am confident in saying that your support for arraysync is first class.
I will try this out on wednesday when I have access to the second computer with arraysync. I will report back how it goes.

Thank you also for explaining the mov format. I understand why I had a hard time back then.

rifo
rifo
4 MB

Post by rifo » February 24th, 2017, 11:52 am

Hello,

I got my hands on the second windows PC today and gave the system a try. Everything went very smoothly. Thanks a lot for your help.

Between, I have 2 more questions, I would be happy if you can answer them

does the PC version support a video playlist?
do you have plans to port arraysync to android in near future?

thanks a lot
rifo
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » February 24th, 2017, 2:25 pm

Hey Rifo,
Thanks for checking back in. Glad to hear it works! Send us a pic or video of the final setup!

Neither versions support playlists for one very important reason. The closing of one video file and opening of another introduces a pause that kicks the playback out of sync. We recommend stitching all your videos together into one long video in Premiere or some other program to achieve the same results.

We may consider Android or iOS versions in the future. The next version which is a total rewrite, we are being mindful of potential use cases on Windows tablets like the Surface, so it should be a solid solution