TripleHead2Go and ArraySync

callmedavid
1 MB
TripleHead2Go and ArraySync

Post by callmedavid » March 15th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Has anyone used ArraySync with the Matrox TripleHead2Go? I'm looking at ArraySync for an upcoming project, and seems like I could stretch my budget by using less computers and splitting the output of each to hit more displays.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: TripleHead2Go and ArraySync

Post by Turboladdade » March 15th, 2011, 8:32 pm

Sounds like a good question. I have never used this product. I was just looking at their website trying to figure out what it is and how it works, and am not really coming up with solid answers. I would hate to have you go and buy it just to try it, so I've just sent Matrox an email inquiring if they'd be interested in corroborating on a little research project.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 16th, 2011, 9:24 pm

I just had a conversation with someone over at Matrox, asking them to describe what it is exactly that the product does. Here's what their representative told me:
The Matrox TripleHead2Go graphics expansion module is an external box that attaches to the monitor connector of your system. It reports to the system that it can drive very wide resolutions, resolutions that are effectively three times as wide as a standard resolution, for example: 4080x768 (3x 1360x768) – the GPU in the system will drive this wide resolution and send it out to the TripleHead2Go box, the TripleHead2Go unit will them take this signal and divide it into three separate signals that will be sent to three separate monitors. The operating system (Windows or Mac) will then see a one very large desktop, effectively you are in a stretched or spanned desktop mode.

Under Windows – our PowerDesk software provides a desktop management tool that will “divide” the desktop into three units and allow the user to maximize an application on each display or span it across three. Mac OSX maximizes applications based on the size of the content in the application window, and we also provide a Mac-PowerDesk software to move a window and resize it to fit the entire display.
Now given this description, there isn't any reason ArraySync wouldn't run on this sort of setup, the only question is whether or not the MacBook's video hardware is capable of playing a video at 400x768 resolution. I would be surprised if it couldn't, but it would depend on the resolution and compression of the video.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
julyz
1 MB

Post by julyz » March 24th, 2011, 9:22 am

I'm currently using this setup for a video installation:
Macpro snowleo dualhead dvi
2 triplehead2go digital edition (analog would have been ok for this setup)
1 lcd xga monitor 1024x768 and 5 xga projectors

with this setup, first triplehead outputs monitor, prj1 and 2 became 3 slices of a movie I exported from final cut in prores 2048x768, and second triplehead shows a 3072x768 movie.
Works flawlessy since one week...