Best Practices for ArraySync

erosenfeld
2 MB
Best Practices for ArraySync

Post by erosenfeld » October 17th, 2011, 10:32 am

I just found ArraySync and bought my first copy for testing. I'm excited about the potential because I haven't seen anything like this since Multi-Screener (out of date and no longer updated). ArraySync handles HD video pretty well but in my tests (4 imacs on the same wired network) there is a noticeable lab between the server and clients.

Has anyone tested different compression/framerates to see what gives optimal playback? I'm willing to share what I discover but want to see if anyone has started already?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Best Practices for ArraySync

Post by Turboladdade » October 17th, 2011, 11:09 am

If you're having trouble with HD video you might want to use an older, less computationally intense codec. I've tried things as old as Sorenson, which makes for big files but lets the CPU do less heavy-lifting. If the computers are playing the videos themselves fine, but not syncing very well, there may still be something going on with the network.

What kind of iMacs are these?
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
erosenfeld
2 MB

Post by erosenfeld » October 21st, 2011, 4:18 pm

These are intel iMacs (2 years old...can't get the specs at the moment). Currently playing 1280X720, 15fps, H.264 just fine. Using larger, less compressed codecs was the best practice with Multi-screener as well as when using Quartz for sync playback.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » October 21st, 2011, 7:55 pm

Does the server play the video smoothly without stuttering or quality issues?
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.