What kind of video files does ArraySync Support?

asraasch
4 MB
What kind of video files does ArraySync Support?

Post by asraasch » March 25th, 2012, 6:37 pm

I hope this is a simple question. For my video installation I have coming up I need to have a video displayed over 2 monitors. I loaded your test video (with the guys and the color wheel). I thought I was doing something wrong. But, it worked perfectly. However, I have tried several of my own videos. I ran them through Compressor at my desired aspect ratio (2560 x 800) and even regular aspect ratios. None of them are working. All of the videos play fine on QT. I get the warning that says something along the lines of the file either being corrupted or not supported by ArraySync. What are the "best practices" that should be used here??

By they way, this is an AMAZING piece of affordable (I am a grad student) software. THANK YOU!
asraasch
4 MB

Re: What kind of video files does ArraySync Support?

Post by asraasch » March 26th, 2012, 2:16 pm

Here are some more details.....

I have a video art installation coming up next week. I need to have a video displayed over 2 projectors attached to the same machine (mac mini server with Lion 10.7.3).

ArraySync is not recognizing the ".mov" I am using.
I built the videos on my machine in FCP X and ran them through Compressor at my desired aspect ratio (2560 x 800) and even "normal" aspect ratios with Apple Pro Res and audio. I tried other non Pro Res and even tried exporting straight from FCP X and FCP 7 with and without audio. I even tried videos that were shot with different cameras.

I have a Quad-Core Mac OS X running Leopard 10.6.8--which is the machine I went to the App store in order to purchase ArraySync. Everything works fine on this computer.

HOWEVER--the machine I REALLY need it to work on for the exhibition is our mac mini server with Lion 10.7.3
I loaded your test video (with the guys and the color wheel) like the documentation page suggested because I thought I was doing something wrong (I probably still am. I am hoping it is something easy to fix). It worked perfectly. BUT, none of my videos are recognized. I am beginning to feel crazy.

None of the files are working on the mac mini server---they do however work on my machine.
All of the videos play fine in Quick Time on both machines.

On the mac mini I get the warning that says something along the lines of "the file is either being corrupted or not supported by ArraySync etc etc."

What codecs are supported by ArraySync? How do I make the codecs available on the mac mini to ArraySync? They seem to be available for Quick Time but not available for ArraySync. I really need to use the Apple Pro Res for quality purposes--is that possible? It seems from searching forums that no ones else is having any issues.

Please, any help will be greatly appreciated.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 27th, 2012, 10:49 am

My first impression is there's something different or wrong with QuickTime on your Mac Mini. There isn't really a list of supported codecs because it should support any codec QuickTime supports, so if it's working on your Mac Pro but not on your Mac Mini, there's something else going wrong along the way.

When you get the "file is corrupted" error it means your videos are passing an initial test ArraySync does, which is to generate a thumbnail based on the video's image at exactly the halfway mark. I couldn't even begin to guesstimate why that's failing on your Mac Mini.

You should be fine with Apple Intermediate Codec. It is a production codec just like Pro Res with extremely high quality and performance benefits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Intermediate_Codec
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
asraasch
4 MB

Post by asraasch » March 28th, 2012, 2:36 am

Nothing works still.
We did get a video file to play (not good quality so it won't work). But, from the Mac Mini we opened the ProRes file in QuickTime and then exported again from QuickTime and that played in ArraySync. Also, I am not sure if it matters but I have QuickTime 10.0 on the Leopard machine. The Lion Mac Mini is running QuickTime v10.1. I might try installing the older version of QuickTime and see if for some reason that does the trick. I will let you know. If you have any more suggestions I am ready!
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 28th, 2012, 8:08 am

I really don't think that's it. ArraySync works fine with all our QuickTime 10.1 systems here. I haven't personally tested a Mac Mini Server but I doubt there is anything particular about that hardware that would make ArraySync behave so strangely.

My suggestion now would be to try reinstalling Mac OS X on another partition or an external hard drive and see if a clean installation solves the problem. If it does, then you know there is something about your particular installation of Mac OS X or some third-party app or utility that is interfering with ArraySync.
asraasch
4 MB

Post by asraasch » March 29th, 2012, 7:30 pm

I got it to work!! Here is the work around:
The user that I tried to open it with only had "read" access to the file. Apparently, ArraySync defaults to "read and write" mode. I changed the file permissions to allow "read and write" access and it worked--which is why it would work on my computer but not the server and also why re-compressing it through QuickTime on Mac Mini would work..... **Maybe ArraySync could default to "read" access.

AWESOME!!!! I am SO happy it works!

Thanks so much for your quick responses (I really appreciate it) and for a wonderful product.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » March 29th, 2012, 7:37 pm

Hmm interesting, I'll make a note to look into this for the next update.