Clients not seeing server

mee3d
4 MB
Clients not seeing server

Post by mee3d » June 4th, 2013, 11:10 am

I see there are a few of these issues... and I have followed each one through but we still have an issue where clients don't see the server.

3x brand new mac minis running OSX LION 10.8.2.
1x Linksys router

2x clients and 1x server.

I can appleshare between all the Macs and transfer data from one Mac to another, so the router is working. All Macs have DHCP IP addresses, are all on the same Subnet and obviously the router IP is the same throughout.

Server runs up fine and plays first screen video smoothly... clients can't find the server?

Any help would be great as this is for a 3 vertical monitor wall in our reception and it's a big deal as there's a gig here next Monday.

Thanks in advance.

Mal Meehan
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Clients not seeing server

Post by Turboladdade » June 4th, 2013, 12:32 pm

Sounds like your Linksys router is blocking UDP traffic for some reason. This is what ArraySync uses for automatic discovery. You might be able to get some useful information from here: http://www.justanswer.com/computer-netw ... outer.html
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
mee3d
4 MB

Post by mee3d » June 4th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Aha... thanks for the pointer... got it sorted!

Not sure if you have a page like this (I didn't find one but I might have missed it) but it might be useful for customers to have a slightly more in-depth install instruction for these such events. Even just reading on other threads about UDP 9201 was enough for me to figure it out but I had to go through several posts, and post myself to get there... I know the idea is to keep the software simple and not to scare people away with IP numbers etc but collating some of the support threads would be very useful - anyway, thanks for your help and for the software, which is now doing it's job! Mal
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » June 4th, 2013, 4:09 pm

mee3d wrote:Aha... thanks for the pointer... got it sorted!

Not sure if you have a page like this (I didn't find one but I might have missed it) but it might be useful for customers to have a slightly more in-depth install instruction for these such events. Even just reading on other threads about UDP 9201 was enough for me to figure it out but I had to go through several posts, and post myself to get there... I know the idea is to keep the software simple and not to scare people away with IP numbers etc but collating some of the support threads would be very useful - anyway, thanks for your help and for the software, which is now doing it's job! Mal
You're absolutely right. I'm actually working on an entirely new website to go along with the entirely new version of the application for this summer. The more cases like this I can draw upon to make better, more detailed documentation, the better. Glad it's working out okay now!

P.S... any chance we could see your setup?
mee3d
4 MB

Post by mee3d » June 4th, 2013, 4:26 pm

I'll post photos for you next week... it's for a donor recognition wall in a large US nonprofit so can't show it until it goes live next week, the company wants to "reveal" it at an event and then after that I can talk about it. I am also about to work on a 4x projector wall using ArraySync... if this all pans out and the codecs play smoothly (on this 3x vertical monitor wall, the monitors aren't edge to edge, there's some gap so playback stutter isn't that noticeable but on the projector wall I have to do it's one long, very hi-def animation... sure beats all the expensive kit I used to have to use to do this kind of thing a few years back (Dataton Watchout)). check out what I do here - http://www.mee3d.com
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » June 4th, 2013, 4:41 pm

What codec are you using? Apple Intermediate Codec should provide smooth playback without any noticeable stutter, even at extreme resolutions. Are you using something else?

EDIT: I wasn't even aware of Dataton Watchout but holy s*#% is that expensive...
mee3d
4 MB

Post by mee3d » June 4th, 2013, 6:27 pm

I'm using ProRES422... it's OK, trying to avoid as much banding as possible. Watchout IS expensive but it's a completely open authoring timeline.... it's like AfterEffects but when you press play... it plays all your layers LIVE. You can literally author right up until showtime and if the client wants a change, or if there's a persons name spelt incorrectly, you change it right there and then... so in the long run, if you do a lot of this stuff it pays for itself.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » June 4th, 2013, 6:40 pm

Interesting... well, try Apple Intermediate Codec (sometimes referred to as AIC). I think you'll be much happier with the results.