Choppy Playback - Brand new Mavericks Mac Mini's x 2

Brendan
2 MB
Choppy Playback - Brand new Mavericks Mac Mini's x 2

Post by Brendan » December 6th, 2013, 1:17 am

We're evaluating this software for a 2 x 2 video wall instillation. I have installed the server software on a brand new mac-min with the latests Mavericks OS. Video playback (1080p h264) is choppy and disappointing. The exact same video file plays fullscreen in Quicktime is flawlessly.

Is this a known issue. Is there a solution/fix?

I'd also like to add to the chorus of requests for auto-startup / auto-play. Will test with the AppleScripts posted in another topic for now buy would like to see this added to the application.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Choppy Playback - Brand new Mavericks Mac Mini's x 2

Post by Turboladdade » December 6th, 2013, 11:20 am

The problem is the extremely resource-intenseive delivery codec H.264. Re-export the video using Apple Intermediate Codec and playback should improve drastically. AIC is a production codec which will produce huge files but your Mac Minis will have a much easier time playing them. H.264 is really only intended for distribution to end users where small file size is important like via a website.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
Brendan
2 MB

Post by Brendan » December 8th, 2013, 7:09 pm

Great will give it a try.

Looks like I'll need to use Shaker to divide the video up into four parts for our setup (2 mini's each with 2 monitors to make a 2 x 2 wall). Would you also recommend using AIC when outputting from Shaker?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » December 9th, 2013, 12:39 pm

No, actually you don't have to split anything up. You can span a single video to go beyond the edges of your displays using the Offset feature.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.