4K UHD resolution compatible?

naoto
2 MB
4K UHD resolution compatible?

Post by naoto » November 8th, 2018, 9:25 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to make 3 channel video installation with 4K resolution each (total 11520x2160px) by using mac mini.
Is Arraysync compatible to 4K?
And do you think it is possible to do it with a single current mac mini?
Thanks!
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: 4K UHD resolution compatible?

Post by Turboladdade » November 9th, 2018, 9:12 am

Hello Naoto,
Great question. Unfortunately as the current version of ArraySync relies on obsolete QuickTime APIs, 4k quite simply does not work very well. Some people have success, while others don't. You'll have to experiment for yourself. It definitely will not work with H.264 codec, you'll want to experiment with ProRes 422 or MJPEG — warning as these will create very large files! I also might consider halving your resolution of the video files to get better results. There's no problem driving 4k displays, the problem is with rendering 4k video!

I am in the process of writing ArraySync's replacement which will use current graphics standards built into Mac OS, but as of yet that's not ready.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
naoto
2 MB

Post by naoto » November 9th, 2018, 9:28 am

Hello Turbiladdade,
Thank you so much for your quick response!
It's a pity.
Looking forward to new version;)
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » November 9th, 2018, 12:48 pm

I am trying to finish up a working version in the next couple weeks that I can send you. Interested in beta testing?

EDIT: Also wanted to clarify that you'll still have to use ProRes or another intermediate/production codec for best results, even with the new version. Syncing multiple H.264 videos simultaneously is close to impossible even for high-end hardware. It has to do with how image data is stored in delivery codecs like H.264 vs. production codecs like ProRes :!:
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
naoto
2 MB

Post by naoto » November 10th, 2018, 2:08 am

Wow really!? Thank you so much!
Of course, please let me test the beta version!
Yes, I plan to use ProRes 422. I have experience of being in trouble to play H.264.
Best,