Finally Upgraded to Leopard

Turboladdade
1024 MB
Finally Upgraded to Leopard

Post by Turboladdade » December 22nd, 2007, 3:33 pm

I'm a bit behind the times compared to many of my counterparts, so I'll save what has already been said. Leopard mostly impresses... except for Stacks, which is rumored to be fixed with 10.5.2.

One thing that did impress me that I did not notice anybody else really mention was the incredibly short install time. The Leopard install process took around 10 minutes on my Mac Pro - that is fast for a new operating system install.

Other points I especially like:
  • RSS in Mail
  • Spaces!!!
  • New Dock Appearance
  • The new Menu Bar has really grown on me in person.
  • Definitely feels snappier than Tiger.
  • Finder is so much improved now.
  • Spotlight seems even faster than before.
I haven't yet tried Time Machine, as I don't have an external I want to dedicate to that. I've only had Leopard for about a day now so it all is really great so far.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
mrkramer
32 MB

Re: Finally Upgraded to Leopard

Post by mrkramer » December 22nd, 2007, 4:15 pm

Just wondering if you did an archive and install, or an upgrade? I also got Leopard on my Mac Mini, and I have had no problems with it.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » December 22nd, 2007, 5:35 pm

I went the Upgrade route, which I was hesitant about, as I usually do an Erase and Install after backing up all my files (which I have 140 GB worth). Went off without a hitch.
macuser77
32 MB

Post by macuser77 » December 31st, 2007, 3:56 pm

I installed it within the hour of getting my FedEx delivery from Apple on the day it was released (6+ hours BEFORE it went on sale retail). I haven't had any problems at all with the install on both my capable computers (fam pack, of course). Most users would probably have been able to install day 1 w/o any hiccups. I'd say this is the most successful OS launch...ever.
Proud Mac User since 1999.
Friends don't let Friends use Windows.
jmpantalone
4 MB

Post by jmpantalone » January 1st, 2008, 8:38 am

I just bought a imac yesterday with leapord......This is my first mac and all i can say is WOW. What took me so long to move from windows to mac. So many wasted years with windows. I will never go back. Looking for some mac friends out there? E-mail me anybody and help me on my new journey. jmpantalone@hotmail.com
Wernicke
2 MB

Post by Wernicke » February 18th, 2010, 3:40 pm

I have an older ppc with upgraded processor (original 440mhz). I am running 10.4 still and would like to upgrade to leopard. Can I do this and if so are there any issues I should be aware of?

Thx.

Machine Name: Power Mac G4
Machine Model: PowerMac3,4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (0.0)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 1.6 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.25 GB
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » February 18th, 2010, 3:59 pm

Wernicke wrote:I have an older ppc with upgraded processor (original 440mhz). I am running 10.4 still and would like to upgrade to leopard. Can I do this and if so are there any issues I should be aware of?
If it's an AGP model then yes, you can install Leopard by connecting it to another Mac via FireWire target disk mode, booting the other Mac with the Leopard installer and installing onto the "external" hard drive that is your G4.
Wernicke
2 MB

Post by Wernicke » February 18th, 2010, 4:01 pm

Can I do the upgrade with the disc?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » February 18th, 2010, 4:09 pm

Wernicke wrote:Can I do the upgrade with the disc?
It's been awhile since I've installed Leopard on anything, but I believe the installer checks for the presence of an 867mhz or higher G4 processor and fails without it. Not sure if it's tied to the "original" processor or if it'll install fine with your new 1.6ghz processors. Why don't you try and let us know how that goes?
Wernicke
2 MB

Post by Wernicke » September 3rd, 2010, 2:49 am

Didn't go well. Sorry it took so long to reply. The "external" disc is the best bet.

Thanks
jackrobert
2 MB

Post by jackrobert » December 2nd, 2010, 5:51 pm

I'm running 10.4.11 on an iMac. Need to upgrade to 10.5 or higher to use a new printer. Should I stop at 10.5 (which sounds easy) or try to go all the way to 10.6 (which sounds more difficult.) Any suggestions?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » December 2nd, 2010, 6:08 pm

jackrobert wrote:I'm running 10.4.11 on an iMac. Need to upgrade to 10.5 or higher to use a new printer. Should I stop at 10.5 (which sounds easy) or try to go all the way to 10.6 (which sounds more difficult.) Any suggestions?
Depends on if you're iMac has an Intel processor. If it does, go all the way to Snow Leopard (10.6). If not, you're stuck at Leopard (10.5). The "ease" of installation is the same for both since the installation process is identical, however you'll only be able to find Snow Leopard in Apple retail stores. It costs $29. You'd have to buy the older Leopard either used or surplus somewhere online.

FYI, this topic dates back to 2007.