iBook G3 clamshell battery won't work after panther install

helloimjoe
16 MB
iBook G3 clamshell battery won't work after panther install

Post by helloimjoe » January 12th, 2008, 1:30 pm

I have an indigo clamshell ibook that I installed panther on a few months ago. Since then the battery (which is a 3rd party about 9 month old battery from sib usa) will not charge. It recognizes the battery and used it until the juice was gone then wouldn't charge it. The light on the power adapter stays green and the little icon in the menu just says calculating time until full all the time. Going down to OS 9 again wouldn't do anything, or running from an Ubuntu cd. The original battery works, but doesn't hold much of a charge anymore.

Thanks
Muahahahahha!
macuser77
32 MB

Re: iBook G3 clamshell battery won't work after panther install

Post by macuser77 » January 12th, 2008, 2:15 pm

Was the battery recently manufactured? Most have a shelf life of about 3-4 years, then they're scrap. can you open up your OS X and see your battery info in system profiler? The information listed there should give a little more info.
Proud Mac User since 1999.
Friends don't let Friends use Windows.
helloimjoe
16 MB

Re: iBook G3 clamshell battery won't work after panther install

Post by helloimjoe » January 12th, 2008, 5:05 pm

Neither of the batteries show up in the system profiler, and no clue when it was manufactured. When I was swapping batteries the light changed and indicated it was charging, but what I tried later it still didn't charge that battery.
Muahahahahha!