What does everybody think about the macbook air?

mrkramer
32 MB
What does everybody think about the macbook air?

Post by mrkramer » January 15th, 2008, 10:26 pm

Personally I love almost everything about it, but there are two things that I don't. The first and main thing is why did Apple have to make it with only a glossy screen? I wont buy any computer with a glossy display so that rules it out as a 12" powerbook replacement for me. The only other thing that I don't like about it is that the battery is not user replacable, in iPods and phones I don't mind that because those don't usually last as long as computers but if i am going to pay that much for a computer I want a replacable battery for several years down the line.

Other than those two things that keep me from buying the Macbook air I think it would be about the perfect computer.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: What does everybody think about the macbook air?

Post by Turboladdade » January 15th, 2008, 10:28 pm

I agree with both your points, but I still think its spectacular, especially given the competition. For someone such as myself, who has a Mac Pro Quad Xeon, a lightweight and very portable Macbook is exactly what I wanted.

I've always been fond of PowerBook Duos, the PowerBook 3400c, and 12" G4 PowerBooks, so I found this announcement particularly exciting.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
lawson89
8 MB

Post by lawson89 » January 16th, 2008, 8:45 am

It's awesome of course. And I can't afford it of course.

I just wish Apple would consider a lower cost lightweight laptop. I know the user experience for the Air will be awesome. I'm looking more at buying a Asus EEE but I and most people would gladly pay more for the Apple experience - just not that much more. Apple needs a $500-800 lightweight laptop.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » January 16th, 2008, 12:02 pm

I'm really blown away by the amount of negativity at other competing online communities who shall rename nameless. I think it fits it's niche perfectly - of course it isn't for everyone, but it will be attractive to a lot of people in the market for such a computer, including myself.
squiffy
16 MB

Post by squiffy » January 18th, 2008, 1:42 am

It's definitely a niche product. With a lack of ports and no optical drive, it will never be a big seller. I smell a cube in portable format. I have no need or desire for one.
But it does look good!

I made similar predictions about the iPod. "Who would ever pay that much for a music player?" I said. Goes to show what I know.
Anything posted by me is not to be taken seriously.
mrkramer
32 MB

Post by mrkramer » January 18th, 2008, 9:25 am

squiffy wrote: I made similar predictions about the iPod. "Who would ever pay that much for a music player?" I said. Goes to show what I know.
A lot of what people are saying aout it sounds similar to what they said about the iPod. I think it is too much of a nich product to be as successful as the iPod but I think it will do well in its market.
jwpacker
16 MB

Post by jwpacker » April 24th, 2008, 10:59 am

Were I in a position to own a Mac Pro, I would say that the Air is exactly the companion I would want for it, for portability. But that would mean that I had nearly $5K to invest in computers when my little $1K Macbook is probably overkill.

I think that the Air will do better than the nay-sayers think simply because Apple products have a certain cache to them now. It's easy to see where some will buy it just to see the raised eyebrows when they crack it open in class or at the Starbucks.

Between that and the folks who needed more power than their G4 12" PBs were giving them, I think it will do well enough to stick around for a few generations. Intel and others are making great strides in increasing power without increasing power usage, and that may well help in the long run as well.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » April 24th, 2008, 11:01 am

jwpacker wrote:Were I in a position to own a Mac Pro, I would say that the Air is exactly the companion I would want for it, for portability.
As a Mac Pro owner, I can tell you those are my thoughts exactly.