PCI card for new hard drive G4

dumpsterdiver
4 MB
PCI card for new hard drive G4

Post by dumpsterdiver » March 9th, 2008, 10:57 am

I ran out of room on my 20 gig internal HD for my G4 power mac. I went ahead and bought a new 160 gig ATA internal HD to use as a start up disk(I already have and external one for storage). I now find that I need an Ultra ATA PCI card so the mac can use all of the memory. I have been finding a lot of possibilities and different features. I am confused as to which one to get. Anyone have recommendations? Thanks.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: PCI card for new hard drive G4

Post by Turboladdade » March 9th, 2008, 1:18 pm

In all honesty, it probably would have been better to get a SATA (Aerial ATA) hard drive and SATA PCI card, since that would open up your world to much larger, faster, more reliable, easier to work with, and less expensive SATA drives, which have replaced PATA (Parallel ATA, or "IDE") as the industry standard hard drive (for good reason).

If you have the option of returning your drive, I'd do that and exchange it for SATA drive and this $52.50 PCI card. OWC has a good sale on a 500 GB SATA drive for $105. However, if you don't have that option, this SIIG PATA card would probably be the best solution for you.

Some more SATA deals:

250 GB SATA Drive $68.99
160 GB SATA Drive $54.99
1TB SATA Drive $249.99 :grin:

Hopefully that is all helpful to you...