initializing hard drive-G4

dumpsterdiver
4 MB
initializing hard drive-G4

Post by dumpsterdiver » March 17th, 2008, 12:42 pm

I installed a 160 gig HD into my G4 as a second drive and a PCI card for it. The new drive comes up as unreadable and when I try to initialize it I get error messages about unknown volume header. I am running OS 10.4.11 so the drivers should be there. I remember reading that non apple HDs may need third party drive set up software and I also remember the warnings about problems with third party drive set up software. Is it possible that I need the software or is there something I am missing?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: initializing hard drive-G4

Post by Turboladdade » March 17th, 2008, 3:43 pm

Are you using Disk Utility? Or are you simply trying to initialize when the "this disk is unreadable" pop-up message appears after you start your computer?

If you aren't using Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility) then you should definitely use that to partition and format your drive as Macintosh HFS (Journaled).
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
dumpsterdiver
4 MB

Re: initializing hard drive-G4

Post by dumpsterdiver » March 17th, 2008, 4:36 pm

Yes, I have been trying to use the disk utility. The first aid just gives me an error message about the volume header and when I try to partition it, though it seems to start to work about half way through I get a restart message in many different languages and the computer freezes. The drive does not show up on my desk top but it does show up in Disk Utility for the full gig amount.