iMac G5 a lemon - Apple comes through

kipsoft
1 MB
iMac G5 a lemon - Apple comes through

Post by kipsoft » April 29th, 2008, 11:42 am

I bought an iMac G5 (early edition) which I found later has all sorts of problems. Mine ran fine for 2 years and 9 months when suddenly, the whole thing just died (3 loud beeps on startup like it was a memory issue) and I never bought AppleCare (all my other iMacs lasted forever).

I found via the internet something called the iMac G5 Repair Extension Program, which extends the warranty for the G5 iMac for 3 years.

Read about it here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302181

Well, Apple was giving me the "too bad your warranty is up" speech when I mentioned I found this program. The guy said, "Yup. You're covered. Take your computer to the nearest Apple Store and they will fix it free."

Well, I did take it to the Apple Store and they ordered a new power supply, logic board, and some other board and said it will be done 100% free in about 5 days.

It was hard for me to find this program, so I figured I would share it with the community. Lucky me, I still had 3 months left on the extended warranty program when the computer died.

Hope this helps.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: iMac G5 a lemon - Apple comes through

Post by Turboladdade » April 29th, 2008, 12:58 pm

A friend of mine had purchased a 20" iMac G5 brand new a few years back, but it started displaying problems almost immediately, especially with the audio. After several attempts to fix it, Apple surprised her by replacing it (at no charge) with a newer Intel Core Duo iMac, which has performed just fine ever since. A great example of excellent customer service, if you ask me.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
jwpacker
16 MB

Re: iMac G5 a lemon - Apple comes through

Post by jwpacker » April 29th, 2008, 3:16 pm

They do seem to take their lumps when they make a mistake. G5 iMacs, the old eMac capacitor problem. When something isn't right, they do seem to do their level best to make it so.

My wife's Macbook had to be taken in twice in the first six months - random shutdown error. They replaced the logic board and a video board of some stripe and the cable that connected them, and did so quickly and nearly painlessly.

It's the main reason we buy Applecare extensions - we'd hate to have a situation that was one-off, and didn't fall under some class-wide extension, and have them say they can't help us anymore. It's so worth it, I can't imagine not buying it, especially with our educator discounts!