OS X from OS 9.2.2

deb
2 MB
OS X from OS 9.2.2

Post by deb » May 22nd, 2008, 4:00 pm

Apologies if this has been covered before elsewhere; I've failed to find it.

I have Mac OS 9.2.2 and adequate hardware system requirements (I've checked). From 9.2.2, can I install 10.4 (Tiger)? Or, do I have to move incrementally from 9.2.2 to 10.0, then 10.1, then .... etc? I would like to jump straight into 10.4; can I?

Thanks to this community. -- deb
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: OS X from OS 9.2.2

Post by Turboladdade » May 22nd, 2008, 5:43 pm

Mac OS X is completely different and separate from Mac OS 9.2.2. When you install it, it installs itself next to Mac OS 9 - allowing you to boot back and forth between the two of so needed. You can install any version of Mac OS X on "top" of Mac OS 9. No need for increments.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
deb
2 MB

Post by deb » May 23rd, 2008, 10:12 pm

Thanks very much for this answer; it really helps.

In one sense, I have spoken too soon, and I have another question. I assumed that moving from 9.1 to 9.2.1 and then 9.2.2 would be easy, as I've checked my system hardware (it has basic requirements met) and I've read and tried to follow all the instructions regarding updating from 9.1 through 9.2.2.

However, I have encounted a bizarre problem in trying to download 9.2.1 off the apple/docs site. Downloading the 9.1 from there worked fine; took a while, but it worked. But when I try to download the 82MB 9.2.1 update file, my Download Manager window pops open and the downloading begins, a few MBs slowly make it into the status bar, but then the process just completely bogs and slows down, turns into a so-called "38 hour" operation, and then ultimately the process just stops. I CANNOT get all 82 MB of 9.2.1 to load, no matter what I try. I have tried at least two dozen times. I've done restarts, checks, read tutorials, all to no avail. Cannot find this problem explained anywhere on the Web; been looking and trying things for three days. Googling blisters.

I do know that I think I need a new battery. However, my recently reset time clock is back at the right time and working well. My 128 MB of factory installed RAM and 30 GB harddrive should be able to handle getting 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 in place (for anticipated upgrade of RAM and then install of OS X). However, I CANNOT get 9.2.1to fully load. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for the answer to my first question; thanks to all who try to tackle this one. -- deb
squiffy
16 MB

Post by squiffy » June 1st, 2008, 10:08 pm

deb,

Have you tried to download the update by using the software update control panel? When connected to the internet, click on the apple in the upper left corner of your desktop. From the dropdown menu select "control panels" and select "software update" from there. You will get any other needed updates from this method as well.
Anything posted by me is not to be taken seriously.