Will original Airport card work with Time Capsule?

T210 Frank
1 MB
Will original Airport card work with Time Capsule?

Post by T210 Frank » June 30th, 2008, 11:03 pm

Hi all,
I'm a new list member. I picked up a 500mHz slot-loading (CD-ROM only) 20GB Indigo eMac from a local school that was upgrading their computer lab. It's using OS 9.2 and has MS Office for Mac 2001. $50 cash and carry. I plan to add a 512 MB RAM stick right away. I'm thinking about OS X Tiger. I'm kind of spooked about target disc mode to load it from my Intel dual core 1.86 mHz iMac.

My biggest question right now is: Am I better off getting an Airport card or getting the USB wireless dongle? I would be willing to stay with OS 9.2 since this would strictly be a web cruiser/email checker/low tier Office machine. I just need to know because I am going to get a Time Capsule for my iMac and eventually a recent Mac Book, too. If the Airport card will interface with TC, then I'm good with slow. If the USB dongle solution will work with OS 9 and TC, then that would probably be my preference. I would like the upgrade to Tiger to be an elective choice rather than a mandatory step, since I don't have any experience with hard drive partitioning, target disc mode, etc. The wireless solution will help a lot if I can get access to files left on the Time Capsule as a poor man's home network server.

Thanks in advance for any help. I've been reading a whole lot of articles on LEM and I am impressed with the collective experience out there. I have a soft spot for Apples in general and older Macs in particular. I'd like to see the older machines put to good use rather than pitched and this will be my first experiment.
Frank
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Will original Airport card work with Time Capsule?

Post by Turboladdade » July 1st, 2008, 10:36 am

Time Capsule is an extension of Time Machine, which is only found in Leopard, which will not run on G3 Macs, so the answer to the original question is maybe, but unfortunately not on your particular machine.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.