Can an 'Upgrade' disk be converted to a 'Full Install' Disk?

unknown1
16 MB
Can an 'Upgrade' disk be converted to a 'Full Install' Disk?

Post by unknown1 » August 5th, 2008, 4:27 pm

I have only used OS 9 for years on my PowerBook 3400 then I finally bought a couple of 'parts' Pismos in January and got one working.

I bought OS X 10.3 from a guy on eBay advertised as 'full retail version'. Well, it was but it was an UPGRADE!

So I installed 10.0. 10.3 won't upgrade from 10.0, so I installed my 10.1 upgrade so I could install 10.3 then download about 26 updates to get my old Pismo working. It took HOURS!

Is there any way to convert my 10.3 upgrade disk to a full install? Is there any way I can burn a new 10.3 disk with all the updates included? My hard drive went out so I will be reinstalling and would rather it not take three to four hours!

In Windows XP burning a new disk including the latest updates and pre-setting setup options is called 'slip streaming' and it usually works.

From the PC, for a couple more days :^(
Russell - Unknown1 - Idaho, USA
iMac 2008 20" 2.6 GHz
leonAzul
32 MB

Re: Can an 'Upgrade' disk be converted to a 'Full Install' Disk?

Post by leonAzul » January 12th, 2011, 10:32 am

Sosumi, and call me a necromancer!

The short answer is that this is not possible without a very expensive relationship with Apple, or some seriously 1337 |-|/\|<0R2 5|<1|_|_2. Courses for horses, and all that obtains. ;)

After over a decade of productively using BootX derivatives to prod antiquated wrought-iron well beyond its intended utility with out-dated Yellow Dog Linux, FreeBSD, et alia, I have come to the conclusion that „Es ist genug“ -- enough is enough. IOW, older hardware really shines when it is run under the software for which it is designed. In the case of my PB3400c, I found that Mac OS 8.6 were the "sweet spot"; for G3 series and other UMA "New World" iron, 9.1 were the «ne plus ultra». YMMV. Pragmatically, these boxen serve as Indispensable™ tools for translating legacy data formats into contemporary standards.

As an admittedly weak analogy, it is true that one can regrind a screwdriver such that it resembles a chisel, yet it will rarely perform as well as a properly designed parting tool.

That said, and in the spirit of the Info-mac tradition, there have existed software tools that could be applied to your particular project, with the caveat that the actual implementation of these software utilities would most likely contravene Apple's assertion of intellectual property (IP) rights. Strictly for the record, and not as an advocate, one may examine this as an exemplar:
http://www.google.com/search?q=BootCD%2 ... essoft.com