panther problems - computer not booting properly

anosila2001
2 MB
panther problems - computer not booting properly

Post by anosila2001 » September 16th, 2008, 4:04 pm

I'm running 10.3.9 and have recently had problems booting up the computer. I backed up everything and reformatted the drive, ran the hardware test (which says everything is ok,) and ran clamX to check for viruses. The computer is still booting up sporadically, sometimes the light won't come on but the cpu makes noise, sometimes there's a delayed chime and then the computer boots up, and sometimes the light comes on and I get the chime but the computer won't boot. It's on now after a few jiggles and some voodoo. HELP! Is this a software problem or is my computer on it's way out? It's been extremely reliable 'til this past week. Also, are there software updates to avoid if I need to hold on to 10.3.9 - I know the new iTunes doesn't work and am trying to shut off all automatic upgrades.

Finally, how does the G4 dual GHz perform running the latest system software, is it Leopard that only works with the intel chip? I'd try more recent system or tiger but I've invested a lot in graphics software and can't afford to upgrade at this moment.

Thanks!
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: panther problems - computer not booting properly

Post by Turboladdade » September 16th, 2008, 4:54 pm

Hello, and welcome to Info-Mac!

The problems you are describing most definitely sound like hardware failure of some sort. If your computer fails to chime sporadically, I would guess it has something to do with memory, the CPU or the motherboard. Memory is the most common source of such problems - first make sure it is all seated tightly and locked in. If it is, you might want to try taking out all your memory except for one stick, and see if it boots up successfully a few times. If it does, you've found your problem and should try each stick individually in a similar way until you find the one that messes up.

If it isn't a memory issue, you can try hitting your CUDA reset button. Consult this document for how to find your CUDA switch and what to do to reset it.

While occasionally there may be a buggy one, there is no Mac OS X software update provided by Apple that will kill your computer. Your problem is very unlikely to be a software problem.

A dual 1 GHz (if I understand you correctly) will run Leopard very well, provided you have good amounts of memory. 1 GB or more is essential.

Let us know how this all works out for you.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
anosila2001
2 MB

Re: panther problems - computer not booting properly

Post by anosila2001 » September 16th, 2008, 8:41 pm

Since I only have the one SDRAM bar (512) I can't remove it to do the test you suggested but I did tighten the bar a bit, or at least push it down. I pressed the CUDA reset button like you suggested and the problem still seemed to occur - the article led me to another article that mentioned unplugging peripherals and booting in single user mode and safe mode. I tried all of the above and it appears to be working now, though the noises coming from the machine vary each time I boot the computer (not the chime but the engine if that's what you call it). I will order more SDRAM and do more tests and then I'll be prepared to upgrade to Leopard when I get the $$ to upgrade Adobe CS, Quark, etc..

Thanks for your suggestions.