Is it safe to do OnyX tweaks?

MacDespot
1 MB
Is it safe to do OnyX tweaks?

Post by MacDespot » February 8th, 2009, 12:32 pm

Basically I want to find a general consensus on whether or not I should do the tweaks and stuff that are included in OnyX on my new MacBook Air?
MacBook Air 1.86
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Is it safe to do OnyX tweaks?

Post by Turboladdade » February 8th, 2009, 12:48 pm

OnyX is safe to run, and does some good maintenance scripts, but it's not like entirely necessary. You should think about whether or not you really need it and only install it if you think you do. Don't search for apps to install just for the sake of having more, basically.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
liquida
8 MB

Post by liquida » February 8th, 2009, 1:15 pm

I use OnyX. It gives you one easy place to do things like repair permissions, clear or rebuilt system caches, run the aforementioned maintenance scripts, and perform other useful tasks. I use it sometimes to temporarily reveal the contents of hidden folders, like when I need to find .htaccess files to upload to my web server.
"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."
kriegvision
32 MB

Post by kriegvision » February 9th, 2009, 6:08 pm

I beg to differ here. OnyX can potentially cause serious harm to your computer, especially in the hands of someone who isn't fully versed in what it is doing. I'd suggest not messing around with OnyX unless you're sure of what it does and that you need it.
chasm
128 MB

Post by chasm » December 4th, 2009, 3:29 am

If you don't understand the terms being used by the software or what checking some boxes will do, then don't mess with the program's defaults.

But generally yes, OnyX is safe. Use official releases and NOT beta releases if you're unsure.
Cheers
chas_m

http://spacejavelin.com