G-3 Firewire 2000-2002 powerbook

F-7
1 MB
G-3 Firewire 2000-2002 powerbook

Post by F-7 » February 14th, 2009, 11:43 am

I have owned this since it was new. It has os 8. I would like to upgrade this to use with quickbooks and to go online. I can't even get online with the current software HELP!!!!! This has been used very little it would be a waist to throw it away. I went to the local mac dealer they said just buy a new one it will be cheaper.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: G-3 Firewire 2000-2002 powerbook

Post by Turboladdade » February 14th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Well, a PowerBook G3 is pretty old. Depending on which one you have, it may be essentially unusable by all reasonable definitions. Unlike cars, how much a computer has been used isn't as relevant as how old it is.

Can you give us some more specifics on what kind of PowerBook G3 this is? Go to the Apple Menu and select Apple System Profiler, and tell us some of the important information like processor speed and memory.

All PowerBook G3s except the very earliest one have G4 upgrades available, but they're still very slow (550 MHz max) and are prohibitively expensive. Since you have the last PowerBook G3 "Pismo" (the only one with FireWire), you'll be able to get by without a processor upgrade for basic web browsing and maybe even QuickBooks under Mac OS X Tiger.

You can find memory upgrades for your PowerBook at OWC, which is where I get my own memory modules. You'll want to get two of these for a maximum of 1 GB of memory. As far as hard drive goes, you can get any one of these to replace your stock one.

Then you'll want to find a copy of Mac OS X Tiger. Here is a copy on DVD for a reasonable price. If you don't have a DVD drive, you'll have to hunt down the much harder to find CD version. It comes on four CDs.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
kriegvision
32 MB

Re: G-3 Firewire 2000-2002 powerbook

Post by kriegvision » February 16th, 2009, 3:05 am

I wanted to add that with one of those expensive G4 upgrades, most people are reporting success getting Leopard to boot without any modifications of any sort! Simply put the PowerBook into FireWire Target Disk Mode while connected to another, Leopard-supported Mac and install Leopard onto it as if it were an external hard drive. Afterwards, turn it off, disconnect and restart it, and you should be in Leopard!