Strange iMac problem

moonwalker
2 MB
Strange iMac problem

Post by moonwalker » May 6th, 2009, 11:05 am

I am a new Mac user (LOVE my new iMac) --- but I have a strange problem. The left "command" key does not work the same as the right "command" key. The left one just causes the screen background to darken, wereas the right one I can do the normal copy, paste etc. I did take the keyboard into the local apple store and they tried the keyboard on another mac and it worked fine, so I have to assume it is a settings problem, but what??? BTW the apple store techie couldn't figure this one out either. I have an early 2008 iMac 20", 2.66mhz intel.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Strange iMac problem

Post by Turboladdade » May 6th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Try going to System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts and press the "Restore Defaults" button in toward the bottom right of the window, then quit System Preferences. See if that helps.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
moonwalker
2 MB

Post by moonwalker » May 6th, 2009, 7:39 pm

Tried that -- didn't help. I wonder if a re-install of the OS would help -or- it that a bit more trouble?
Him
8 MB

Post by Him » May 6th, 2009, 8:35 pm

I would say that re-installing the OS is a last resort. Although considering your problem, I would at least, give it a go. But if you use your Mac for work and happen to have Time Capsule/Time Machine, you can always back up from that. Afterwords.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » May 7th, 2009, 4:20 pm

Honestly I'm totally at a loss here. Try booting up from your restore CD, and while booted in it, use your normal brightness keys on your keyboard to see if they have an effect. Then try your left command key.

Also, by your best judgement, is it the display brightness being reduced or is it like the contrast of the display being modified?

This is a pretty perplexing problem that has me totally stumped.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.