Safari Crashing

skasmo
16 MB
Safari Crashing

Post by skasmo » July 16th, 2010, 8:08 pm

I have two Apple computers at home an ibook G4 and an IMac that's a little over a year old. As of lately Safari is constantly crashing on my IMac. I go to the same websites on my IBook and this problem does not occur. I went to disk utility and tried to repair, but the problem still exists.
wove
16 MB

Re: Safari Crashing

Post by wove » July 16th, 2010, 8:56 pm

Old plug-ins could be causing problems with the newest Safari. Run software up date for your systems as well as for any Safari add-ons you might be using.

It would be helpful if you provided more information about your OS version #, Safari version # and hardware. Your system logs will provide specific information on what caused the crash.

bill
--
\/\/i||i@m ()\/e
NoggintheNomad
8 MB

Post by NoggintheNomad » July 17th, 2010, 11:43 am

Coincidentally I too have a summer 2009-bought iMac and a G4 iBook for 'emergencies' - I had a few problems on the iBook at first with the Safari 5.0 release, but as Wove says, I found these to be solved by updating things like Flash Player.
mac2geezer
4 MB

Post by mac2geezer » October 17th, 2010, 12:17 pm

Safari has suddenly started aborting when I go to the weather URL [www.weather.com]. About 3/4 of the first page loads, then Safari aborts every time. Using a 2.16 GHz core 2 duo iMac, OS 10.4.11, Safari 4.1.2. The abort msg is "Kernal bad address". However, Safari 4.1.2 on my G5, OS 10.4.11 works just fine, as does Firefox on the iMac. When this first happened two days ago I reinstalled the OS from the DVD, downloaded and installed all the updates, but the problem remains. Disk Utility verify says the HD appears to be fine.

Any ideas?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » October 17th, 2010, 9:25 pm

I doubt its a Safari problem as weather.com works on all my systems. Are you sure you erased and reinstalled the operating system from scratch?
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
mac2geezer
4 MB

Post by mac2geezer » October 17th, 2010, 10:18 pm

As I said in my post, weather.com works on all my other systems and in Firefox on the iMac. As I recall, what I did was an archive and install. I wanted to just reinstall Safari but the installer did not give me that option, even in the "custom install" mode. After installing 10.4.7 from the DVD and downloading and installing the upgrades to bring it up to 10.4.11 Safari version was 3.0.4....aborted weather.com every time. I downloaded more upgrades to get Safari to 4.1.2...abort every time. All other URL's load just fine in Safari. I've cleared the cache and done a Safari reset...no change.

Hardware test just now reported no hardware problems.

I'm stumped, unless my install really didn't change anything in Safari.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » October 18th, 2010, 11:04 am

Well, you have me semi-stumped here. I supposed I would start with the usual routine of maintenance and troubleshooting tasks. I've never used Archive and Install so I don't' really know what that is or what it does.

First, go to System Preferences and create a new user account you can use to test. Login to that account, launch Safari, and see if the same thing occurs.

If it does, go back to your account and delete that test account. We've determined that it's a system-wide problem and not isolated to some corruption with your account specifically.

Do a permissions repair, and also try running rember to see if it detects any problems.

Finally, install a CLEAN operating system. You can do this on an external FireWire disk or another partition on your hard drive if you want to preserve your current system.
mac2geezer
4 MB

Post by mac2geezer » October 18th, 2010, 12:46 pm

An archive and install first copies the current system to a "Previous System" folder before doing the install. The problem was only in the admin account, a user account Safari was fine. The solution, as you suggested, was repairing permissions; several were incorrect.

Thanks for the help!
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » October 18th, 2010, 12:53 pm

mac2geezer wrote:An archive and install first copies the current system to a "Previous System" folder before doing the install. The problem was only in the admin account, a user account Safari was fine. The solution, as you suggested, was repairing permissions; several were incorrect.
Based on what you describe, Archive and Install must therefore copy over some preexisting settings or configuration files... including your originally corrupted one. It's the only explanation for your problem being carried over between system installs.
fizza9
1 MB

Post by fizza9 » August 18th, 2011, 4:28 am

I've noticed that over the past week or so safari has been crashing frequently.

Safari seems to crash when I go on websites like digg.com and mac-forums.com/forums

It seems to do it more when I have 3-5 tabs open at once

I've cleaned out my system cache using the app called mainmenu

However this did not solve the problem.

has any one got any other suggestions...?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » August 18th, 2011, 8:36 am

fizza9 wrote:I've noticed that over the past week or so safari has been crashing frequently.
I'm able to visit both those site without issue. Are there any updates available in Software Update? Have you tried repairing permissions?