Where to look: upgrade 2.0GHz G5 to 2.7GHz liquid cooled G5?

amigadave
8 MB
Where to look: upgrade 2.0GHz G5 to 2.7GHz liquid cooled G5?

Post by amigadave » August 25th, 2010, 12:41 pm

I have a dual 2.0GHz G5 PowerMac that I would like to upgrade with a dual 2.7GHz G5 processor module and can't find the information anywhere to tell me that it is possible. Both G5 PowerMacs have the same 7.3 model numbers and the external ports are identical, so it would appear that the same logic boards would be interchangeable between the dual 2.0GHz and 2.7GHz models. That makes me hopeful that the upgrade is possible.

Does anyone here know if this can be done, or does the 2.7GHz liquid cooled G5 processor module require a different logic board (motherboard)?

This is my first post here, so I don't know what to expect in regards to responses. As my user name suggests, I am an old-timer and Amiga user from the mid 1980's that still owns and uses Amiga computers today. The funny thing is that one of the "Next Generation" Amiga like operating systems now runs on older PPC Mac hardware. (and all of you thought the Amiga was long dead and gone!) It does not yet run on the G5, but a sneak preview of it booting on a 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac has created quite a stir in the remaining Amiga community. If any of you have the slightest interest in seeing what is being done toward running Amiga software on PPC Mac hardware, check out morphzone.org and ask all the questions you want.

I hope that this Mac forum site is as friendly as the Amiga forums I am used to.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Where to look: upgrade 2.0GHz G5 to 2.7GHz liquid cooled

Post by Turboladdade » August 25th, 2010, 2:17 pm

I believe the "liquid-cooled" bit is part of a larger, complex cooling system that you would also have to install. I can't be 100% sure on that as I skipped directly from G4s to Intels and never owned any G5.

Also, I understand the liquid-cooled G5s are prone to leaks and corrosion and have a high failure rate. Buyer beware.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
amigadave
8 MB

Re: Where to look: upgrade 2.0GHz G5 to 2.7GHz liquid cooled G5?

Post by amigadave » August 26th, 2010, 9:00 pm

No, the cooling system is self contained within the CPU module. Of that I am certain.

Other than changing the bus speed to match half the CPU speed, I don't think there would be much to stop a faster CPU module from working in the same model number, but slower CPU module's logic board.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » August 27th, 2010, 9:13 am

From EveryMac.com:
As a precaution, those interested in purchasing a Power Macintosh G5 system on the resale market for long-term legacy use would be prudent to avoid the Power Macintosh G5/2.5 DP (PCI-X) (June 2004) and Power Macintosh G5/2.7 DP (PCI-X) (Early 2005) if the original liquid cooling system has not been replaced with the improved one.
amigadave
8 MB

Post by amigadave » August 27th, 2010, 10:32 am

The Panasonic liquid cooling system appears to be more reliable, but was only put in a fraction of the G5 PowerMac systems. It has less hose to tubing clamped connections, using copper tubing instead with soldered connections.

I wonder if that is the "improved one" that EveryMac.com is referring to?
wove
16 MB

Post by wove » August 27th, 2010, 1:21 pm

It was my understanding that the liquid cooling system was overall pretty reliable. However it was easily damaged when worked on by the untrained and unskilled. And of course the big problem is that any damage that results in coolant leakage invariably ruins the entire machine. Even with the cooling system working as specified, the machine ran very hot and were huge energy hogs.

bill
--
\/\/i||i@m ()\/e
amigadave
8 MB

Post by amigadave » August 28th, 2010, 3:41 pm

Yes, very environmentally "UNFRIENDLY" computers. The only reason I am interested in them at all is MorphOS. And MorphOS may never be released for the G5 PowerMac's, but a screen shot of it beginning to boot on a 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac has created some "buzz" in the Amiga community, because if the port is completed, it will be the fastest Amiga system we are likely to see for a very long time. Porting MorphOS and AmigaOS4.x to the x86 architecture has not even begun (that I know of) and the limited number of programmers working on these OSes might mean that we never see it on x86 systems.

I did not know that the G5 still ran hot, even with the liquid cooling system? I know that my Intel Core-2-Quad works as a good space heater for a large room during the Winters in Big Bear Lake (elevation 7,000ft), CA.

Edit: Still trying to find information regarding the ability to upgrade a Dual 2.0GHz G5 Logic Board to Dual 2.7GHz G5 CPU module and bump the bus speed from 1GHz to 1.35GHz?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Where to look: upgrade 2.0GHz G5 to 2.7GHz liquid cooled

Post by Turboladdade » August 28th, 2010, 5:17 pm

Why don't you just buy a 2.7 G5, see if it works, and come back and tell us? :D

I imagine the information is probably hard to find because after the Intel switch and total abandonment of PowerPC support by Apple, upgrading G5 towers just never really became a hot topic like it was with G4s and G3s. Some evidence supporting this theory can be inferred by the total lack of any interest from the traditional Mac CPU upgrade companies like Sonnet and Newer Technology.
chasm
128 MB

Post by chasm » August 28th, 2010, 8:20 pm

To the best of my knowledge, there are no viable processor upgrades for G5s at all.

IOW, "there appears to be a wall here with some kind of writing on it ..."
Cheers
chas_m

http://spacejavelin.com
amigadave
8 MB

Post by amigadave » September 3rd, 2010, 5:08 pm

@chasm, I am not looking for a "third party" upgrade processor, I am asking if the Apple Dual 2.7GHz CPU module can be used with a Dual 2.0GHz Logic Board if the clock rate is increased for the bus to match what the clock rate for an original 2.7GHz Logic Board would have (1.35GHz bus)?