Photoshop install disks

teague
1 MB
Photoshop install disks

Post by teague » August 30th, 2010, 10:07 am

I bought a Mac G5 desktop os 10.50 I used my older G4 desktop for years, but how do I install Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. when pop-up message says "no longer suppots "classic". We are talking about thousands of dollars worth of software that seem virtually useless—don't have the bucks to replace it.

scrapiron
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Photoshop install disks

Post by Turboladdade » August 30th, 2010, 10:30 am

Classic support was removed from Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). If you're getting this message then you must be using some very, very old versions of Adobe applications. You can do two things here. You can install Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) with Classic Mode on another partition or an external hard drive. Or you can buy newer versions of Adobe applications.

Let's use Photoshop as an example. I believe Photoshop 6 was the last version that would require Classic - is this the version you have? Photoshop is now at version 12. So you can buy a used copy of 7, 8 (CS), 9 (CS2), 10 (CS3), or 11 (CS4), and it will run on your G5.

As a side note, version 10 (CS3), 11 (CS4) and 12 (CS5) will run natively on an Intel Mac. Version 12 (CS5) dropped PowerPC support and won't run on your G5 at all.

The "CS" stands for Creative Suite. This is the unified package of Adobe applications such as Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, etc...
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
chasm
128 MB

Post by chasm » August 30th, 2010, 2:50 pm

What Turboladdade said. Just because you spent some money during the Clinton administration to buy software doesn't mean you don't ever have to buy it again. You've waited so long on this that you don't even qualify for upgrade pricing.

If you had upgraded even ONCE over the last decade (which would have cost you a couple hundred bucks or so back in the day), you'd be fine now. Food for thought.

I'd strongly recommend buying a used copy of the CS3 suite, which you should be able to find inexpensively. And after that's done, I'd recommend developing a more realistic timetable for upgrading your premium software purchases. You certainly don't have to buy every new version (I don't!), but it's a good idea to not lag too far behind.
Cheers
chas_m

http://spacejavelin.com
NoggintheNomad
8 MB

Post by NoggintheNomad » August 31st, 2010, 12:57 pm

Why not just take the torrent route?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » August 31st, 2010, 1:25 pm

NoggintheNomad wrote:Why not just take the torrent route?
Please be mindful not to post specific instructions or how-tos regarding pirating software at Info-Mac. You haven't here, but just in case anyone considers it in the future.

The best policy is to not speak of it at all.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
parken
2 MB

Post by parken » September 4th, 2010, 5:37 pm

You can have classic under (snow) leopard: google for SheepShaver, a universal classic emulator for Mac OS X; and, yes old versions of PS do run just fine...
chasm
128 MB

Post by chasm » September 4th, 2010, 10:44 pm

Sheepshaver is only a marginally better solution, as it requires you to supply a Mac OS ROM which is probably not legal.

Also, any mention of Sheepshaver should be accompanied by caveats:

1. It's quite difficult for non-geeks to install.
2. It hasn't been undated in years.
3. A lot of people seem to be unable to get it to work.

That said, I managed it, and it does seem to run most (but not all) OS 9 software. Technically it's "slow" but OS 9 users wouldn't ever notice that.
Cheers
chas_m

parken
2 MB

Post by parken » September 5th, 2010, 2:19 am

Let's try to be helpful…
If you own an old mac, is perfectly legal to use its ROM to setup the emulator for your own purposes. Even without that is possible to exract a working ROM form software that Apple makes publicity available (see the instructions below).
Thera are really no caveats:
1. Detailed installation info is provided (http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup) and are quite simple to follow even for non-geeks.
2. SheepShaver is actively developed (last mac os x update 25-10-2009)
3. We have been able to get it to work, didn't we chas_m?
Cheers
parken
chasm
128 MB

Post by chasm » September 7th, 2010, 12:17 am

Actually I do have it working, but I don't consider it anywhere near "ready for prime time" in terms of non-geeks being able to use it. Kinda like Linux.

<ducks>

Mainly I don't want people to get the impression that there's an easy, practical way to rely on that OS 9 crutch indefinitely, because there isn't and one shouldn't.
Cheers
chas_m