Where are the System Sounds ?

Vialatte_94_FR
2 MB
Where are the System Sounds ?

Post by Vialatte_94_FR » September 4th, 2010, 2:59 pm

Good evening to anybody,

I may seem to be silly, but I hate the noise made by the system
when an item has been copied.

Does anybody know where I can find it, to replace it under root authorization ?

Thank you very much in advance !

Best regards,

Vialatte
leonAzul
32 MB

Re: Where are the System Sounds ?

Post by leonAzul » June 4th, 2011, 8:10 pm

For the general alert sound, this is easy. The basic sounds are located in /System/Library/Sounds/ and are in AIFF. You can add custom sounds to either /Library/Sounds/ or ~/Library/Sounds/ and they will show up in the Sounds pane of the System Preferences panel where they can be selected for the general alert for all users or just one, respectively. Some applications will let you select custom alerts and responses to events from these folders through their preferences; some of them look for their sounds within their own application bundles.

The sound you are looking for is located here:
/System/Library/Components/CoreAudio.component/Contents/Resources/SystemSounds/system/Volume Mount.aif

Not exactly intuitive, but there it is. Replace that with an AIFF file of the same name and you have replaced the sound.

Because of its location, I would expect it to be overwritten with any software or security update, so you might want to make backups and set up a script to replace it as needed. Here is a link to a discussion that includes some examples of scripts -- they are shell scripts embedded in AppleScript, but you should get the general idea:

http://www.maclife.com/article/is_it_po ... tem_sounds

There is also a Haxie available for ~$10 that makes this more convenient.

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/xounds

IMHO, it's not worth it, and because it plays in an unapproved space it opens the opportunity for conflicts with other rogue players. YMMV.
AfternoonDelete
1 MB

Post by AfternoonDelete » August 7th, 2011, 6:43 pm

Hi - In Lion, there does not appear to be a System Sounds folder in the path you outlined for Snow Leopard (and I did indeed custom-change my Volume Mount .aiff in Snow Leopard, so I know you were correct about that!).

How would one change the Volume Mount .aiff sound file under the new Lion setup?

Thanks in advance.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » August 7th, 2011, 8:32 pm

Doing a search of invisible files in Lion containing the word "mount" returned no results. I wonder if it's now hidden inside some kind of archive, disk image, or compiled directly into a part of the Finder.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.