newbie question about upgrading mac os

heartlessomen
8 MB
newbie question about upgrading mac os

Post by heartlessomen » October 18th, 2010, 10:41 pm

hey guys, i just got a new macbook pro (my first mac ever!) and i am loving it!

anyway, to cut to the chase, i've been reading around on the internet and i've seen that apple might be unveiling a new os this wednesday (os x 7, savannah lion or whatever they deem it), and I was just wondering since I just got my macbook will I need to pay for the os x 7 upgrade or will it be something that I can just access through the mac software update feature?

thanks for the info
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: newbie question about upgrading mac os

Post by Turboladdade » October 18th, 2010, 10:53 pm

Welcome to Info-Mac and the Mac experience in general!
heartlessomen wrote:since I just got my macbook will I need to pay for the os x 7 upgrade or will it be something that I can just access through the mac software update feature?
They'll be talking about a what we should expect in 10.7. The operating system won't actually be available until next summer, if the Mac OS upgrade cycle of recent past is to be continued.

Yes you'll have to pay for it. ;)
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
heartlessomen
8 MB

Post by heartlessomen » October 18th, 2010, 11:01 pm

hahaha alright, i figured that apple and their macs were great but not that great =P

hmm does apple usually price their os upgrades at relatively cheap prices like snow leopard is currently priced at?

thanks btw for the help =)
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » October 18th, 2010, 11:05 pm

heartlessomen wrote:hmm does apple usually price their os upgrades at relatively cheap prices like snow leopard is currently priced at?
In the past it was always $129, until Snow Leopard broke that tradition. I think they did that to soften the misinterpretation that Snow Leopard wasn't "much" of an upgrade, because it introduced very little in the way of end-user features (but some major under-the-hood features). Who knows if it will go back to $129 again.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.