Steam and the Xbox 360 controller?

heartlessomen
8 MB
Steam and the Xbox 360 controller?

Post by heartlessomen » November 7th, 2010, 9:08 pm

Hey guys, i'm a new(ish) mac owner and I had a question for anyone that is making use of Steam for mac. Has anyone tried to get a wired 360 controller to work with games like team fortress 2 or left 4 dead?

i've been trying but no dice. i have downloaded the driver from tattiebogle but i'm still not getting any response. is this because valve is not supporting controllers on os x yet or am i doing something wrong?

thanks for any help
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Steam and the Xbox 360 controller?

Post by Turboladdade » November 7th, 2010, 9:31 pm

Have you checked that the Mac recognizes your device is connected?

As per the Tattiebogle website:
If you find the driver does not work for you, please attempt and find out as much as you can about the device, preferably using the Apple "USB Prober" application provided with the developer tools, but the output of System Profiler for the device may be enough. E-mail it back and I'll try and work with you to get it working.
You can get to System Profiler by going to Apple Menu -> About This Mac and clicking the More Info... button.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
heartlessomen
8 MB

Post by heartlessomen » November 7th, 2010, 9:56 pm

Yeah i've checked. i've opened the controller preference window and it shows that it is reading the button inputs and everything, but every time i've launched TF2 it doesn't work. If I pull the triggers the controller vibrates....lol I don't know what that means.
heartlessomen
8 MB

Post by heartlessomen » November 7th, 2010, 9:59 pm

and yeah i just double checked in the device manager.

Product ID: 0x028e
Vendor ID: 0x045e (Microsoft Corporation)
Version: 1.14
Serial Number: 1224CDC
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: ©Microsoft Corporation
Location ID: 0xfa140000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500

that's what I got
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » November 7th, 2010, 10:31 pm

I found this information at Steam Users' Forums:
You can't right now. TF2 Mac doesn't support gamepads.

Also, Mac itself does not support the Xbox 360 controller. There's an unofficial driver for it that works, but you can't just plug the Xbox 360 controller into the Mac and expect it to work at all. I know, I have one.

It also needs to be wired or you need to get the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows. The Xbox 360 controller uses a transmission method that isn't supported by any computer without this device. It also works with the unofficial driver for Mac.

Although, if you use a gamepad for TF2 for Mac, you are going to get dominated by all the other computer players. It's been shown that people who play gamepads are always bested by people who play using keyboard+mouse. Microsoft tried combining PC and Xbox 360 gamers in the same game and found that noob mouse players would beat pro Xbox 360 controller players a majority of the time. So save yourself the trouble and learn to play with the keyboard and mouse. You can only play against other Xbox 360 controller players if you agree to play it that way with friends. All public games in the Server browser use keyboard and mouse.
It's dated October 14, 2010, so pretty recent. Seems like a good candidate for answer to your question.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
heartlessomen
8 MB

Post by heartlessomen » November 7th, 2010, 11:01 pm

hmmm...that about summarizes all of the information that I had found thus far as well...

thanks for the help guys.