Genealogy: Reunion - Family Treemaker

Judy40
4 MB
Genealogy: Reunion - Family Treemaker

Post by Judy40 » December 13th, 2010, 11:07 am

I've been a Mac user since 1984. At one time, back the late '80s or early '90s, I used the Family Treemaker Genealogy program. At some point, FTM stopped supporting Mac. I then moved on to use Reunion software which was made specifically and only for Mac. I was not terribly happy with it but it was the only game in town. When transferring data, I lost some of my source material (very important in genealogy). Now, Family Treemaker has come back with software for Mac. Most people are excited about it, but I am a little wary. I don't want to lose any more data in a transfer.

Does anyone have experience with or knowledge of this new software?

Thanks.
Judy in Jax, FL
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Genealogy: Reunion - Family Treemaker

Post by Turboladdade » December 13th, 2010, 11:29 am

Well Judy, I myself don't have experience with this software, but I can recommend that you always make backups, and work from copies rather than the originals.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
Judy40
4 MB

Post by Judy40 » December 13th, 2010, 11:35 am

Thanks, Turbo, that's a good idea. I'll get my private tech (hubby) to help me with that.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » December 13th, 2010, 11:48 am

Judy40 wrote:Thanks, Turbo, that's a good idea. I'll get my private tech (hubby) to help me with that.
It's pretty straightforward to do yourself. If your existing data is stored in a file (or files), you can design your own simple backup system by creating a folder named "Genealogy Backups" in your Documents folder, hold down the Option key on your Mac, and drag your files to this folder. Because you're holding down the Option key, Mac OS X will create new copies of your file(s) in this folder. You then continue working with your original files, and every now and then just remember to Option+drag them into your backup folder to back them up.

You can even be more organized and create an additional folder inside your backup folder that's named for the date you created the backup. That way you can accumulate a number of backups over time and keep them neatly organized.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
MartinM
4 MB

Post by MartinM » December 14th, 2010, 11:31 am

I've just moved over from Windows to Mac, and have had to consider all my software needs. Up until now I have been using Legacy on a Windows machine for my genealogy, but have now moved to FTM for Mac.

As with everything else Mac so far, I am delighted and wondering why I didn't do it before!

If you also have a tree on Ancestry then FTM integrates seamlessly. You can back up your Gedcom, complete with notes and attachments from either Ancestry or FTM.

Whilst I have no intention of ever going back to Windows, there is no reason whatever why you cannot export your Gedcom across platforms.

My advice.. Treat yourself, it's Christmas!
Judy40
4 MB

Post by Judy40 » December 25th, 2010, 2:36 pm

Thanks, everyone. Santa was good and I'm now reading the Companion Guide. I'm so happy that I'll get six months of Ancestry.com But tell me this, if you know, will Ancestry.com be able to take my family history information and put it out to the public for sale? I'm wary because I know they've done this with Rootsweb.com when they bought IT out. Many times the wrong data is published and others use it, compounding the errors.

Anyway, if no one has had the experience, I guess I'll have to read the agreement carefully (which I don't always do) before I click on "Agree."
MartinM
4 MB

Post by MartinM » December 31st, 2010, 6:48 am

Judy,
Information you publish online on Ancestry.com, will be visible to others searching the same individuals as you (unless you mark your tree private) This works both ways though, and you will get hints for all your ancestors which include details of other member trees. In effect Ancestry is a community, and the information published by members adds to the overall mass of information available. Obviously, any information found on member trees should always be verified since it's accuracy is not always what you might hope for your own research.

Overall, I have to say that Ancestry.com has way more advantages than problems, and I am pleased that other members can benefit from my research. I've also made many friends from the community, and benefit every day from their research.

Happy new year!
Judy40
4 MB

Post by Judy40 » March 2nd, 2011, 4:55 pm

Thank you, Martin, you've put me more at ease. (I just saw your response, as I have another question.)

I'm still trying to activate my Ancestry subscription. I was told to look under Help, but instead I finally discovered today that it is under the Family Tree Maker column with registration, activation, preferences, etc. Okay, all well and good, so I clicked on Activate Ancestry Subscription and it didn't connect. Here is what it said:

There was a problem connecting to the registration server. Please check your Internet connection and try again or close this dialog and register later.

[Try Again] [Close and register later]

My internet connections are fine. I can access my email, all my groups, my Facebook, my newspapers, etc. etc. etc. I looked at the preferences and find no assistance there. Do you have any ideas of what else I can try?

Thanks for any help.
chipperz
16 MB

Post by chipperz » March 8th, 2011, 11:50 am

Family Tree Maker is back on the Mac! They have a new version out to mark their return to Mac. It's a little more difficult to make entries, but it does import information from you GED files, although not entirely correct. I guess we can't have everything. I still prefer Reunion.
Aqwerfass
2 MB

Post by Aqwerfass » August 16th, 2011, 2:16 am

but it has a lot of new features such as the possibility to find out which members are searching for your ancestors—without leaving Family Tree Maker and a new surname report and the option to save and reuse report settings.I like it)
thor0128
8 MB

Post by thor0128 » July 2nd, 2013, 4:34 pm

I would suggest another couple of options:
1. Heredis Genealogy software works for MAC/PC/iOS. I have used it for many years it works great. the software is about 80.00 us the IOS app is free.

2. MacFamily Tree software works for MAC/iOS. It is certified to work with Family Search and the new FamilyTree websites. The MAC app is about 70.00 us and the iOS app is 15.00 us.

Both app are great replacements for Family Tree (on MAC it is very buggy port of the windows app.. ) I have the support ticket to prove it.

just my 2 cents worth.. Reunion is good software but costly (updates are little to know discount off of full list price).