OS X mail virus??

heartlessomen
8 MB
OS X mail virus??

Post by heartlessomen » December 27th, 2010, 11:36 am

Hey guys,

I have run into this problem twice now. I have an old gmail account synced to the mail app in the dock and, like I said, it's old so it gets quite a bit of spam. but when i delete the spam from that gmail account and attempt to open something like facebook or in this case today amazon.com, I get a warning window within chrome stating that the link/server i'm trying to connect to is not the actual one from the website i'm trying to access.

I believe this to be email based because i've downloaded sophos anti-virus and its scan had turned up 2 critical threats both buried within a mail folder. does anyone know if my old email account is what's causing me the issue here?

p.s.
i also don't want to keep sophos running on my macbook pro because it causes it to not sleep on it's own.

thanks.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: OS X mail virus??

Post by Turboladdade » December 27th, 2010, 12:32 pm

Yeah, as far as I know there has yet to ever be any widespread security threat attacking Macs in the form of email viruses. You can tell if a link is real or not if you just look at it's domain. A link saying log into your Facebook that goes to http://kl2.flamblam.67.kewp.ru/ is probably not a real Facebook page. There are a ton of phishing scams out there, which are fake emails ostensibly "from" real companies that ask you to go to quite real-looking webpages and type in your username and password to log into your account at the real company, thus giving scammers access to your information. It's not a virus, and it's not a problem with your Mac. If you're unsure whether something is legit, then go to the real website by manually typing in the address like Facebook.com.

Feel free to tell us what these two supposed threats were that Sophos found. But it'll probably end up being nothing, in which case you might as well go ahead and delete Sophos because its just a waste of disk space and processing cycles for a platform that still has no real virus threats.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
R4sik
1 MB

Post by R4sik » January 20th, 2011, 9:45 pm

heartlessomen wrote:
p.s.
i also don't want to keep sophos running on my macbook pro because it causes it to not sleep on it's own.

thanks.
But you don't have any other choice but to change you current antivirus. We know that Sophos are weak in filtering or blocking spam messages in email. However, if you still want this antivirus, you should avoided unusual messages in your email.
chasm
128 MB

Post by chasm » March 9th, 2011, 2:18 am

There aren't any Mac viruses. E-mail or any other form. As in ZERO.

Sophos is warning you of WINDOWS viruses (or phishing scams, at best) it has found. These don't affect you, so you should ignore them.

Uninstall Sophos is the simple answer to your problem. You don't need it and it's not doing anything, except wasting your resources and blocking sleep.
Cheers
chas_m

http://spacejavelin.com