Sending large email attachments

Shayne
8 MB
Sending large email attachments

Post by Shayne » July 6th, 2011, 12:01 am

Hi guys,
could some please help ease my frustration!
My internet is a wireless system as a line is not available to my address so therefor quite slow at times!
How can I send an attachment with emails like a photo or a graph chart? they just wont send either using @me mail or in Yahoo? Do I have to compress things and, if so, what do I need to do this?
Any ideas Please?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: Sending large email attachments

Post by Turboladdade » July 6th, 2011, 8:47 am

I don't know about "graph charts" - if you mean a Numbers document, those aren't particularly big so shouldn't be that much of a hassle to send. As for large pictures, you can use iPhoto to save the pictures to a smaller size and/or lower quality to save on bytes, by going to File -> Export.
Screen shot 2011-07-06 at 8.46.40 AM.png
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
24bit
8 MB

Post by 24bit » July 6th, 2011, 11:59 am

What would you call a large attachment? I know that some POP services have limitations in file size 2MB, 5MB or 10MB.
For the common JPEG files, they are already compressed, downscaling is the way to go, if you use e. g. a 10 mega pixel camera.
If you would like to try a freeware app for size reduction "The Gimp" is a very good one, a bit strange to use maybe.
http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/
Shayne
8 MB

Post by Shayne » July 6th, 2011, 8:07 pm

Thanks so much for the replies. I will try photo reduction and see how it goes but I also have trouble sending a bmp only 490kb? or a multipage word doc 50 -80kb
OR A PDF OF 60kb?
and is it possible to send an mp3 or mp4 in an email?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » July 6th, 2011, 8:20 pm

If that's the case you'll have to give us more details on what the "trouble" is. Do you get an error of some kind? Maybe you just haven't setup your email client properly.

I'm also curious what you're doing with Windows bitmap (BMP) files? Like, nothing uses that format today...
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
clemens0118
2 MB

Post by clemens0118 » February 4th, 2012, 9:57 am

I have the same problem. When I try to attach a document (with several already downsized images) it comes up the other end completely garbled. Just fragments of the e-mail and the attachment just 'gobbledigook' and no images at all. Should I try to compress the document before attaching it?
clemens11
2 MB

Post by clemens11 » February 15th, 2012, 12:41 pm

Hello, it's Clemens again. You asked for more details. Well, when I send the e-mail (with text document+several images) it looks just perfect in the "Sent"list. And when I send it from yahoo to my gMail-account it gets there just fine. Text and image + another text with several images attached. Just fine. I even pressed 'window friendly'. But when I check it on a windows-computer, the attachment comes up with no text anymore and instead of images just endless numbers. Clemens
junewright
1 MB

Post by junewright » May 15th, 2012, 6:37 am

Maybe the problem is with page code?
vinny25
4 MB

Post by vinny25 » May 29th, 2012, 4:16 am

There maybe a problem with the email address or the contection
vinny25
4 MB

Post by vinny25 » May 29th, 2012, 4:20 am

I get his a lot try changing the jpeg quality if that doesn't work then try going into your email settings
martinwhisely
1 MB

Post by martinwhisely » January 21st, 2013, 5:27 am

I think its better to use the dropbox and share that link to your friend. In App Store there is one app called as Dropbox or you can use from the web app. It ll upload your file and share that link via email.
michaelbix
4 MB

Post by michaelbix » February 9th, 2013, 8:12 pm

Another fairly common and hassle-free image bit reduction solution for the Mac is GraphicConverter from lemkesoft. It is not free, but has enough capability to qualify as the "poor man's Photoshop." Jpg's can be resized at any resolution or change to (or from) .gif .bmp or practically any other format. It also works in layers, adds watermarks to images and a host of other capabilities I can't begin to itemise.
Michael the Bix
http://www.redactyl.com
Creating obfuscation without appropriate credentials.
posting at http://twitter.com/michaelbix