How to import an image in Safari

myques
4 MB
How to import an image in Safari

Post by myques » January 8th, 2012, 10:07 am

I'm trying to help a friend who needs to import an image into a pdf file that he has accessed on Safari (good example of the "blind leading the blind"). :)

The pdf file in the Safari browser is interactive, and there's a section where he can insert an image that he has created. In this case, it's another pdf file. Or else, if this doesn't work, he can convert it to a jpg, or whatever is needed. The main thing is that he is looking for help in how to do this, and I haven't been able to figure it out.

I'm using 10.6.8. and under "Safari", in "Services", it says there are no services available.

My friend's operating system is 10.5.3 On his Mac, it shows "Import", but it's greyed out.

Any solutions you can offer will be very much appreciated.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: How to import an image in Safari

Post by Turboladdade » January 9th, 2012, 11:11 am

You can open a PDF in Preview and then export it to JPEG.

Go to File -> Export
Screen Shot 2012-01-09 at 10.10.52 AM.png
Then choose JPEG from the Format popup
Screen Shot 2012-01-09 at 10.11.10 AM.png
If you have a multi-page PDF document, and only want one specific page of it, you can easily create a new PDF containing only that page by dragging it out of the navigation sidebar, like in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIWsAztvBSw

Preview is located in your Applications folder. If it's not set to be your default PDF viewer, I would set it to be, because it is much faster and more streamlined than Acrobat.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
myques
4 MB

Post by myques » January 9th, 2012, 7:09 pm

Thank you for this reply. I'm using version 5.0.3 of Preview and the menu under "File" is quite different. "Export" is not in the list, nor are many of the other things you show in your message.

What version of Preview are you using?
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » January 9th, 2012, 7:32 pm

5.5.1 on Mac OS X Lion
Screen Shot 2012-01-09 at 6.31.33 PM.png
Is this a PDF file you can share with the rest of us? You'd have to upload it from a desktop browser.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
myques
4 MB

Post by myques » January 9th, 2012, 8:03 pm

I guess that's why we can't do it. We both have an older version of Preview.

My friend's computer is still covered by Applecare. Perhaps they can help him.

(It's not a file he would be willing to share.) Thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge! I've learned something about Lion that will come in handy if I ever upgrade.

All the best!
leonAzul
32 MB

Post by leonAzul » January 12th, 2012, 4:04 pm

If you are trying to *import* a file to an interactive PDF loaded in Safari, it probably won't work.

In general, I agree with Tuboladdade that opening the file in Preview should be your first choice. Even if the Adobe-specific interactivity isn't supported, you can import graphic files, "Menu > File > Import Image…" (since Mac OS X 10.5.8) and then position them with the "Move Tool", "Menu > Tools > Move Tool ⌘1".

Otherwise you may need to download the free Acrobat Reader to fully use the interactive features. Preview still is more stable and has basic editing features that Acrobat Reader lacks.

Just for reference, you don't necessarily need Acrobat Pro nor InDesign to edit, make useful annotations, and do batch processing of large numbers of PDFs. There are more agile programs like PDFPen (http://www.smilesoftware.com/PDFpen/) available as well.
myques
4 MB

Post by myques » January 12th, 2012, 4:33 pm

Do you happen to know what the shortcut is for Import Image? It's not in the file menu in my version of Preview (pls see attached screenshot). My friend said he can see it in his menu, but it's greyed out.

I get the rest of your instructions, which we'll try once we get past this first step.

Thanks for your message.
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-01-12 at 4.24.08 PM.png