sticky menus

tobychur
2 MB
sticky menus

Post by tobychur » February 1st, 2012, 12:59 pm

All Mac OS's (since about System 8?) have had Sticky Menus, which behave as follows:
> Fast-click&release on the Apple-menu, it stays open on release.
> Slow it down, it closes on release.

HOW DO I LENGTHEN THE TIME-DELAY? Double-click setting has no effect.
Failing that, how do I turn i off?

2011 iMac, OS 10.7.2
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: sticky menus

Post by Turboladdade » February 1st, 2012, 1:08 pm

There isn't a way to turn off sticky menus on Mac OS X. How slowly are you clicking your mouse!?
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
tobychur
2 MB

Post by tobychur » February 1st, 2012, 2:33 pm

Turboladdade wrote:There isn't a way to turn off sticky menus on Mac OS X. How slowly are you clicking your mouse!?
I can't click fast (hand disability) and I stub my toe on this 50 times a day.
There's a number somewhere, gotta be ...
leonAzul
32 MB

Post by leonAzul » February 14th, 2012, 12:59 pm

There is no way to easily adjust the timing, but there is another solution.

In the same "Keyboard and Mouse" pane under the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab there is a subsection called "Keyboard Navigation". You can use this to activate the "Move focus to the menu bar" keybinding. [Note: I have used the same control pane to remap the shortcuts to "⌃F1" (ctl + F1), "⌃ F2," etc. in order to avoid collisions with keybindings in other software; YMMV.]

What this allows you to do is to use the shortcut to select the menu bar, navigate through the menus and menu items with the arrow keys or by the first letter of the name of the menu item, and simulate a click on the item by pressing the ⏎ ("return") or ⌤ ("enter") key. This gives you as much time as you need to get to the command you want, and is often much faster and more accurate than using the mouse.

Hope this helps.
tobychur
2 MB

Post by tobychur » February 14th, 2012, 4:02 pm

leonAzul wrote:There is no way to easily adjust the timing, but there is another solution.

In the same "Keyboard and Mouse" pane under the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab there is a subsection called "Keyboard Navigation". You can use this to activate the "Move focus to the menu bar" keybinding. [Note: I have used the same control pane to remap the shortcuts to "⌃F1" (ctl + F1), "⌃ F2," etc. in order to avoid collisions with keybindings in other software; YMMV.]

What this allows you to do is to use the shortcut to select the menu bar, navigate through the menus and menu items with the arrow keys or by the first letter of the name of the menu item, and simulate a click on the item by pressing the ⏎ ("return") or ⌤ ("enter") key. This gives you as much time as you need to get to the command you want, and is often much faster and more accurate than using the mouse.

Hope this helps.
Thanks - I knew that, and yes Apple are slowly catching up on keyboard-access.
Unfortunately it's slower (the mouse is such a brilliant HID).
I almost did it with QuicKeys (L-button = click, pause, bip, click-hold for a drag, pause, beep).
Didn't work reliably, and there were other problems so I turned it off and did something useful instead.

Macs do some things brilliantly (Spotlight especially, it's so fast) but Windoze wins in some areas.
I've got Parallels, shall I waste more time getting used to that dual-environment way of working?
Shall I, oh shall I?
Or shall I just wait for Apple to get their finger out?