minimize windows

hepnerkid
4 MB
minimize windows

Post by hepnerkid » July 5th, 2012, 1:45 pm

When I minimize a window to the dock, it will stay there if I open another site using the bookmark list. It seems that there is only one site and if you want to open two, it will not lt you.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Re: minimize windows

Post by Turboladdade » July 5th, 2012, 2:22 pm

hepnerkid wrote:When I minimize a window to the dock, it will stay there if I open another site using the bookmark list. It seems that there is only one site and if you want to open two, it will not lt you.
You might want to try hiding applications rather than minimizing. For most apps it's a simple Command + H to hide an application. When applications are hidden, all their windows remain exactly where they are but vanish or become invisible until you activate the application again, for example by clicking its icon in the dock. This also has the effect of not cluttering your dock with the icons of minimized windows.
I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do.
hepnerkid
4 MB

Post by hepnerkid » July 5th, 2012, 6:34 pm

When I hide the window, it takes Safari with it.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » July 5th, 2012, 6:43 pm

I guess I don't understand the question or the problem. What are you trying to achieve?
hepnerkid
4 MB

Post by hepnerkid » July 5th, 2012, 7:00 pm

In windows, you can minimize a page and it will stay there. You can then bring it back when you choose. You can have as many sites saved as you want and they will all stay put. I'm trying to do the same thing with the Mac. This is probably simple but I can't figure it out.
Turboladdade
1024 MB

Post by Turboladdade » July 5th, 2012, 7:12 pm

hepnerkid wrote:In windows, you can minimize a page and it will stay there. You can then bring it back when you choose. You can have as many sites saved as you want and they will all stay put. I'm trying to do the same thing with the Mac. This is probably simple but I can't figure it out.
When you minimize a Safari window you're still in Safari because you haven't brought any other application to the front. Notice that the application menu still says "Safari" in bold. That menu item right there will always tell you which application you are currently in.
Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 7.12.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 7.12.00 PM.png (7.82KiB)Viewed 9764 times
Treat the menu bar like another window. Instead of every window containing its own menu bar, there is one permanent universal menu bar that changes depending on which application is in "front". You can minimize a window and then go to File -> New Window or hit Command + N to get a new window without restoring the old window.

You really should just learn to use tabs though. Go to File -> New Tab or just hit Command + T to create a new tab.
Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 7.10.44 PM.png
celineventura
2 MB

Post by celineventura » October 1st, 2012, 12:44 am

hide it rather than minimize
nyc2sd30
1 MB

Post by nyc2sd30 » October 16th, 2012, 10:54 pm

Are you saying that you are trying to open two safari windows at once? If so there are several easy ways to accomplish this.